London SE1 community website

Traffic on Harper Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 5 September 2016 12.03pm
boris wrote:
Irritating as traffic build ups are- isn't this a symptom of too much traffic as a result of unnecessary car journeys. I witness tail to tail traffic all around SE1 & SE11 some from commercial vehicles (fair enough) but most from car drivers who could be making the same journey by alternative means.

Not in the opinion of the OP, which quite clearly makes the case that it's the changes to other routes which have increased the traffic on Harper Road.

There's always a debate to be had about whether journeys are necessary or not, but that's not the issue here.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 5 September 2016 5.12pm
Just to add my 1/2d worth - Mandela Way is a speed merchant rat run too. Needs a traffic camera by the post office.
Tuesday 6 September 2016 3.48pm
More to the growing traffic problems down Harper Road. Yesterday at about 5.45 I saw 5 motor bikes take off from the lights at Borough Road and race down Harper Road. The first one went over a speed bump and took off into the air, then continued to race along followed by the others who were weaving in and out of the inadequate speed restrictions. When confronted by a motorbike coming the other way there was much noise and confusion. Nobody fell off on this occasion and they managed to stay ahead of the not inconsiderable line of traffic behind them. However very disturbing and worrying.
The mismanagement of traffic flow is becoming a very serious concern in lots of areas.
Tuesday 6 September 2016 5.45pm
"Not in the opinion of the OP, which quite clearly makes the case that it's the changes to other routes which have increased the traffic on Harper Road. "

Firstly, it's not clear this is the cause of the extra traffic- and if a new layout is causing the congestion, all the more reason for motorist using the route via the E & C to get out of their cars and consider other modes of traffic.

I do hope my comment meets your self appointed criteria for posting.
Wednesday 7 September 2016 11.53am
I'm just making the point that if you want to have a discussion about whether people should use cars at all, then maybe it would best be done in a separate thread (IMHO, of course).

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 20 September 2016 10.54am
I've been curious to work out why so much traffic is coming down Harper Road, especially as I was led to believe that other roads would bear the brunt of any overflow traffic from the roundabout. I also thought that most of Harper Road's woes were being caused by the lack of a left turn at the bottom of Newington Causeway.

Essentially any traffic that is in the Waterloo area and that's trying to get to any destination along the A2 (from Peckham all the way to Dover) is being rerouted by sat nav down Borough Road and then Harper Road because it's so much quicker than having to go the official route - London Road followed by the Bend.

Using Google Maps as a sat nav this morning I could shave 13 minutes off a car journey from Waterloo to Peckham by taking Harper Road as a cut through. 13 minutes! No wonder so much traffic is coming down the road. So the problem doesn't appear to be caused by poor design of the Bend (at least not directly) or the lack of a left turn, but because the traffic flow at the Bend is so poor.

Anecdotally, the problem seems much worse at weekends and in rush hour. My guess is that buses are clogging up the Bend during peak times, lengthening journey times that end down the A2, and therefore sending traffic down local roads ill-equipped for that type of traffic, but that bypass the Bend.

So we just need TFL to pull their finger out and improve traffic flow at the Bend, but then we all knew that already, didn't we?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions