London SE1 community website

Tate viewing platform

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Zoe
Wednesday 21 September 2016 11.14am
Totally agree Andrew. I am having to put curtains up because Southwark college students can see straight into our flats, if it was just the balcony I wouldn't be bothered.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 12.59pm
Absolutely. Do the Neo residents not see the irony in living in a whopping great tower that looms over the area, and then complaining about being overlooked themselves?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 1.30pm
I've been up to the viewing gallery and there is no 'view' to speak of in that direction other than looking in to those people's flats, TBH I felt a bit uncomfortable as it was so close and I could see everything. I don't think you can compare to being overlooked by other flats or offices, by definition it's a 'viewing platform'. Also, I think Serota's comment about putting up net curtains is just purposely antagonistic.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 1.39pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Absolutely. Do the Neo residents not see the irony in living in a whopping great tower that looms over the area, and then complaining about being overlooked themselves?

I don't think the 'overlooking' residents of Neo (or Mordor on Thames as you'd have it) do is quite on the same level as this, is it?
Wednesday 21 September 2016 1.54pm
I don't think it's the issue of the Tate's extension here (which I'm sure the residents of Neo were made aware of) it's all about the viewing platform. In particular the South side which has very little view of anything else other than into these apartments. Personally I think a poxy sign about 'respecting privacy' is just lame - what is that going to do really??!! This is a free attraction in London that attracts thousands of tourists daily, all gawping into your house and at your kids, it’s not going to calm down. I would be furious if I was a resident and then to top it off you have some tw*t telling you to put net curtains up!! I'm sure that's what he would do!!...oh wait, then he resigns! Hmmmmm
Wednesday 21 September 2016 1.56pm
james.uk wrote:
I've been up to the viewing gallery and there is no 'view' to speak of in that direction other than looking in to those people's flats, TBH I felt a bit uncomfortable as it was so close and I could see everything. I don't think you can compare to being overlooked by other flats or offices, by definition it's a 'viewing platform'. Also, I think Serota's comment about putting up net curtains is just purposely antagonistic.

No, you can see a long way to the South East (apart from the bit where Neo gets in the way).

Re. net curtains, how many people in SE1 actually have homes where no one overlooks them? Putting up some sort of screen if you don't want to be on view is part of life, isn't it?

Wednesday 21 September 2016 2.02pm
turtmcfly wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:

I don't think the 'overlooking' residents of Neo (or Mordor on Thames as you'd have it) do is quite on the same level as this, is it?

Clearly not, if your measure is based on number of people. Is it proportionately worse having lots of people looking into your kitchen than it is having one person, though?

I think N Serota's point is well made: people who choose to live in glass houses which were always going to be overlooked by one of London's major visitor attractions shouldn't be surprised when people turn up and look in their direction.

Wednesday 21 September 2016 2.28pm
We had offices built on the others side of our relatively narrow street from where people can look into my flat's living room. We have large windows. Both the missus and I work, and the children are at school all day. On the rare occasions that I am at home, whoever wants to look at me in my living room, does so at their own risk. I have no net curtains, and I like to dress very comfortably when I'm home. The offices pull down their blinds most of the time now.
Zoe
Wednesday 21 September 2016 2.45pm
I'm pulled two ways on this. Having that group looking in must be horrendous and I am sympathetic as we all have similar in terms of buildings and noise and understand what they are going thru. Equally though, we have to put up with stuff like this living in SE1 and we don't make the national news. We are even called NIMBYs when we oppose developments like Neo Bankside.

I probably wouldn't have bought a property overlooking the Tate as it's likely there would be disturbance and the fact these are super rich people probably does affect our sympathy a little. Ultimately though, the Tate had the planning permission first, so it's not reasonable to ask them to limit the use of the platform. They possibly should try to make some adaptations though, to improve the situation for the residents.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 2.48pm
Zoe wrote:
Ultimately though, the Tate had the planning permission first, so it's not reasonable to ask them to limit the use of the platform.

Here's a timeline for planning permission of the two buildings;

16.06.07 – Neo Bankside – Planning Permission granted

23.12.08 - Tate Modern – Planning Permission granted for 12-level extension

19.03.09 – Tate Modern – Application for 11 level extension (revised application from 12 level extension)

15.05.09 – Tate Modern – Planning Permission granted for 11 level extension

19.04.11 - Neo Bankside – Public Realm Area Management Plan for site

06.06.11 - Neo Bankside – Application for Approval of Details

26.07.11 - Neo Bankside – Deed of Modification

15.11.11 - Tate Modern – Approval of Reserved/Outstanding Matters relating to Erection of 11-level extension

24.07.12 - Neo Bankside – Supplemental Deed

22.08.14 – Tate Modern – Details of landscaping for 11 level extension approved
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions