London SE1 community website

Tate viewing platform

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.24pm
turtmcfly wrote:
Zoe wrote:
Ultimately though, the Tate had the planning permission first, so it's not reasonable to ask them to limit the use of the platform.

Here's a timeline for planning permission of the two buildings;

16.06.07 Neo Bankside Planning Permission granted

23.12.08 - Tate Modern Planning Permission granted for 12-level extension

19.03.09 Tate Modern Application for 11 level extension (revised application from 12 level extension)

15.05.09 Tate Modern Planning Permission granted for 11 level extension

19.04.11 - Neo Bankside Public Realm Area Management Plan for site

06.06.11 - Neo Bankside Application for Approval of Details

26.07.11 - Neo Bankside Deed of Modification

15.11.11 - Tate Modern Approval of Reserved/Outstanding Matters relating to Erection of 11-level extension

24.07.12 - Neo Bankside Supplemental Deed

22.08.14 Tate Modern Details of landscaping for 11 level extension approved

What that list doesn't explain is:

- which stage of the planning permission contained the viewing platform
- when the flats in Neo were sold

My understanding was that the viewing gallery permission was in place when the Neo flats were put on sale. I may of course be wrong.

Neo Bankside completed in Sept 2012 ( http://www.native-land.com/development-portfolio/neo-bankside ), if that's helpful info.

I think it's also worth noting again that the bits which are most visible from the viewing platform are actually the "winter gardens" (glassed-in balconies to you and me), as noted here on the architect's website: http://www.rsh-p.com/projects/neo-bankside/#

I assume that the living/sleeping/bathing areas all have some sort of blinds in place as a standard measure.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.26pm
Interestingly, back in 2007 IPC Media (Now Time Inc UK) of the Blue Fin Building did object to the Tate's plans, citing overlooking and loss of privacy:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2634

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.31pm
This is a summary of the Neo Bankside developers' comments on Tate's 2009 planning application, from the report to planning committee

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.47pm
That's not quite true. Their is a view down to Elephant and Castle and beyond looking south.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.50pm
The viewing platform was part of the planning application and extensive public consultation. People didn't do their homework before buying. People can close their blinds. Simple.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.52pm
I agree. There is an extensive view to the south/south-east. It's a lie to say the only view on that side is towards Neo.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.54pm
The Tate need a re-think. I would have thought a viewing gallery would deserve a view (not to get all faulty towers....) Surely people visiting the Tate Modern would prefer to see some art and not just people having their tea - no matter how fancy they think the tea may be. Tate modern should be encouraging the appreciation of art and not competing with Ikea for gawking at furniture scenarios in homes that are not your own. These are actually peoples homes and I suspect it's constant as i have never been to the Tate on a quiet day - relentlessly intrusive and unfair.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.54pm
There was a previous application for the Tate Modern extension - like a polemic glass boxes. This extension was the second application.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 3.57pm
The winter gardens are ancillary space in planning terms, not living areas. The actual living areas are not actually overlooked and have very small windows. The developer was upfront about the Tate Modern extension when selling the flats - I was there at the launch.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 4.30pm
The main selling point of the viewing platform is that is 360 degrees. I guess that one advantage of that is that people don't crowd and congest what's arguably the most interesting part of the platform on the north side, but that they keep flowing and come back the other side.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions