London SE1 community website

Tate viewing platform

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Wednesday 21 September 2016 4.40pm
AndrewBankside wrote:
I was there at the launch.

Not really sure that this makes you an expert on everything Neo the number of posts you've submitted to this thread might suggest. For example...

AndrewBankside wrote:
The actual living areas are not actually overlooked and have very small windows

Yes, you've said that twice now. And it's utter bobbins. All the windows are floor to ceiling.

This includes the kitchens windows. Three large ones. The video I linked to was taken from one of the kitchens. Your apparent solution is to have 75% of the curtains/blinds in the main living areas closed 8 hours a day Sunday-Thursday, and from 10am-10pm on Friday and Saturday (which is kind of 'all day', isn't it?). Ludicrous. Unfair.The idea that you would put up with what's shown in that video for that length of time, 7 days a week is laughable.

No-one is claiming they had no idea there was going to be an extension built. Many if not most bought while it was being built. But anyone who checked the 'overlooking aspect' of the viewing platform on searches will have been reassured by Southwark's planning officer that is was 'negligible'. That video shows that is absolutely not the case.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 9.20pm
The Tate viewing platform represents a great democratisation of the wonderful views that Neo residents have paid millions for.

Joking apart, a good conveyancing solicitor on the Neo purchaser's behalf would have flagged up the extant permission for TM extension and drawn attention to the viewing platform.

James rightly copies the planning comments from Native Land (NL.) What is not clear from those comments is the close relationship that exists (existed) between the Tate and NL, which resulted in the proposed tower on the old paper mill site not being built, as the land was purchased by NL and donated to the Tate. This is now the circular grassed area on the westernmost edge of the Tate estate. In return, NL were granted significant planning gain by Southwark Council.

The irony being that without the above deal, the Neo towers would have been significantly shorter and therefore less overlooked. Further, the Tate strongly opposed the paper mill development. On the day planning was granted Mr Serota said: "This is a sad day for Bankside. The tower will have a detrimental impact on the quality of space that surrounds it."
Wednesday 21 September 2016 9.23pm
We have massive windows in our apartment too. I don't really worry about who looks in. if I want privacy I close the blinds. Simple. Some people are a bit precious!
Wednesday 21 September 2016 9.40pm
bod42zx - excellent point about the deal on the paper warehouse site. I hadn't thought about that in relation to the viewing gallery issue.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 9.51pm
Good point made by a Neo resident in Guardian interview. Most of the Neo flats overlook each other and the workers in the Blue Fin building can look into many of the Neo flats. As they said, it's like living in a gold fish bowl. https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/sep/21/net-curtains-tate-modern-nick-serota
Thursday 22 September 2016 10.44am
AndrewBankside wrote:
We have massive windows in our apartment too. I don't really worry about who looks in. if I want privacy I close the blinds. Simple. Some people are a bit precious!

So we've done 'you don't know what you're talking about parts 1 and 2'. Part 3...

The video I posted. Did you watch it? Do you think residents having to put up with that for the hours I've stated every day of the year, non-stop is reasonable?

This persistent comparison with 'normal' overlooking from an office or another block of flats versus what's happening with the Tate platform, where dozens of people are interacting with residents and taking photos of them and their property is perfidious arsery.

I'm sure I'd get banned if I said what I really thought about your 'a bit precious' comment. Let's just say it's contemptuous and symptomatic of a 1-ply mind.
Thursday 22 September 2016 2.45pm
If this were overlooking a council block most people here would be going apeshit about the loss of privacy - not telling people to get some blinds and stop complaining. People are just feeling smug as it is rich people being put out, so they get to vent their frustrations without feeling guilty.

Our area is getting gentrified; complain about that as much as want, but don't blame the rich people for wanting to move in - they are just people after all, and not wanting a viewing terrace set up where 1000s of strangers a day can stand around looking into your home is a pretty understandable notion.
Thursday 22 September 2016 2.54pm
I do think the design of Neo Bankside is a factor - a building with a more conventional arrangement of walls and windows would be unlikely to draw the eye in the way that the floor to ceiling glazing does.

Is a glass box really a sensible design for new residential development in a built up urban area as density increases?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 22 September 2016 3.42pm
I think it's only the fact that the residents can see their observers that bothers them. Clearly none of them could care less if someone a couple hundred metres away had a telescope pointing into their flats 24/7.
From the lack of curtains, it doesn't appear that people in the south-facing apartments care that they can be observed intimately from the apartments 100 feet across Southwark Street.
Thursday 22 September 2016 5.31pm
The whole contemptuous remarks accusations and stating that people would be up in arms if it was a council block are in themselves contemptuous.

People in Neo aren't the only people in the neighbourhood with a bit of money and to say people aren't sympathetic because they are rich is nonsense!

We have had years of development and put in our comments to planning applications as and when it was felt necessary. I think this is all about a few self important people feeling a bit silly that they didn't do their due diligence.

From an article in the Guardian yesterday one resident of Neo said they thought the Tate extension was going to be an office and another said their landlord hadn't even known it would be built. Anyone, having done some simple due diligence would have known what was happening. Nobody hid the fact that there was going to be a huge art gallery extension with a roof terrace. Just close the blinds!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions