London SE1 community website

Tate viewing platform

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Thursday 22 September 2016 6.00pm
AndrewBankside wrote:
From an article in the Guardian yesterday one resident of Neo said they thought the Tate extension was going to be an office and another said their landlord hadn't even known it would be built.

Maybe the landlord just pretended not to know?
Thursday 22 September 2016 6.14pm
Concerned residents of Neo Bankside should look to their solicitors for not having made deep enough searches prior to purchase and seek an answer from them.
Meanwhile, they should do what the rest of us who have had high-rise buildings erected around us do and that is to spend some money on decent nets to gain or regain privacy during the daylight hours and enjoy the magnificent night views to their hearts' content
Thursday 22 September 2016 10.21pm
I wrote one of the first responses to this thread - after thinking more about the situation it does seem strange how this problem has come about. Although it is fun to think that people bought their multimillion pound NEO flats without having even basic searches done, I can't believe that this was actually the case. Bear in mind we are not talking about one apartment but several hundred, all with their own solicitors.

I wonder what the original Tate extension planning application said about the viewing platform. Was it actually clear that the flats would be so overlooked? Did the owner of the NEO Freehold or potential residents make any comments about it, and if they did, what response did the Tate provide?

Perhaps the Tate are not altogether innocent here - it wouldn't be the first time that a developer has been economic with the truth in order to get planning approval.
Thursday 22 September 2016 11.39pm
The Tate was always very open about their plans and the developer was up front too. By the way it is a few people from Neo driving this.

I wonder if the other Neo residents will be happy that their development is having all this negative press and potentially further driving down their property prices.
Thursday 22 September 2016 11.48pm
Maybe the Neo residents thought that their wealth protected them from nuisances that less well off people have to fight or put up with on a more regular basis. I doubt we've heard the last of this but i suspect the Neo residents will get their way one way or the other.
Friday 23 September 2016 1.09am
I live in Draper House, at the Elephant & Castle.

I moved in back in 1989, and was immediately spellbound by the outstanding 180 view my east facing apartment offered, and so were all my visitors.

I remember watching with great interest One Canada Square being built, floor by floor, many miles away.

One day, Southwark Council sold off a low rise office building that formed an integral part of our estate: Castle House.

Castle House was acquired by the London South Bank University, who used it as one of their teaching locations before selling it to a property developer who wasted no time in applying for planning permission to conduct a demolition and replace the low rise office block with a skyscraper less than 100 yards away from Draper House.

Us residents fought to try and stop this, but we lost and we were told that we had no right to light, and that no 'protected views' were being infringed upon. The end result was that Strata SE1 (winner of the 2010 Carbuncle Cup) was erected.

Now, I can see the white of the eyes of my neighbouring Stratafarians when I look out of my windows.

Moral of this story: trust no one and don't give up the fight, because once the disputed project has been completed there isn't much that can be done...
Zoe
Friday 23 September 2016 7.30pm
Jules, spot on. This is the reality for many of us who live here. This actually makes me sympathetic to the residents at Neo Bankside, but I also know they have more resources on their side than those of us in council blocks will ever have. I sit here listening to the terrible noise of the bars that surround us, writing information for residents of my block about a planned super tall development on Southwark tube station and I know that I will never get the BBC reporting on it.
Friday 23 September 2016 10.21pm
Must dig out the view from my kitchen window before Tate, before Blue Fin, before Holiday Inn, before Manhattan Loft, before Neo.
I could see the river, and boats going along.

Less is definitely more.
Saturday 24 September 2016 4.37pm
There's no such thing as a "right to a view", nor should there be. Cities are always changing and this should be expected. That said, the overlooking examples being given on this thread, whether from an office or flats, are in no way comparable to what the Neo residents are facing. There's certainly a case for "buyer beware" but I'm not sure anyone truly understood the extent of the issue. Having thousands of tourists gawping at your family as you go about your day (and on Saturday this goes on until 10pm) is a pretty brutal way to live. Surely there's some sort of reasonable compromise that could be made? The idea to install planters to limit the intrusion seemed like a good one.
Saturday 24 September 2016 5.47pm
Maybe the only way for the Neo Bankside residents to fight this is to loose all inhibitions and go around their dwellings 'stark bo***ck naked' and wait for those who use the platform to complain to the New Tate management...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions