London SE1 community website

'Education not Segregation'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Friday 7 October 2016 9.22pm
Zoe wrote:
Religious people also pay tax, why should they not receive an education of their choice?.

Why stop there? I look forward to publicly funded shools that are restricted to: jedis; people with a particular hair or skin colour; people who vote for a specific political party; coeliacs; fans of Bake Off...and any other random things you can think of which have NOTHING to do with education.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 7 October 2016 9.45pm
I agree. Faith schools should not be funded in any way by Southwark.
Zoe
Friday 7 October 2016 10.20pm
Where there is a large group of similar people who want to educate their children together, surely they should be allowed as long as it's not breaking any laws (which race and politics would be). A Jedi school would be pretty awesome.
Friday 7 October 2016 10.24pm
1)why is race or politics different from
Religion?
2) why should public money be spent on it?

Zoe
Saturday 8 October 2016 2.14pm
Because legally there are specific groups who are protected and a school for one ethnic or political group would be illegal.
Saturday 8 October 2016 6.21pm
Race IS different to religion. You can't choose your race, but you can choose your religion.

Skin colour is a reality. Religion is a fairy story.
Saturday 8 October 2016 7.18pm
Fair enough.
Race isn't chosen. Overgeneralisation on my part.
I saw it as a parallel (an imperfect one, in your view, I accept) because - in my opinion - children don't choose religion. Adults choose religion, but somehow the religious choices of parents affect the access of their children to education.

Saturday 8 October 2016 9.10pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Fair enough.
Race isn't chosen. Overgeneralisation on my part.
I saw it as a parallel (an imperfect one, in your view, I accept) because - in my opinion - children don't choose religion. Adults choose religion, but somehow the religious choices of parents affect the access of their children to education.

Same goes for everything else: children who are raised on ready meals and placed in front of the TV from when their are infants will also be disadvantaged when compared to kids who are not...
Saturday 8 October 2016 9.46pm
Do away with all faith schools. Do away with worshipping in schools. Kids should be mixing with kids from all religions. If you want your kids to pray, take them to the appropriate place of worship. As for grammar schools, having spent many years in teaching, I found that bright kids did very well whatever the school was like, it was the low ability kids that didn't progress as well as they should. So if anything, we need more special schools. Actually what we need is to get rid of public schools, I'm pretty sure that if Mr and Mrs X of Dulwich had to send their kid to the nearest Comp, they would put pressure on the Government to improve our education system (which I think, is actually quite good).
Sunday 9 October 2016 12.36pm
Karen I wrote:
Do away with all faith schools. Do away with worshipping in schools. Kids should be mixing with kids from all religions. If you want your kids to pray, take them to the appropriate place of worship. As for grammar schools, having spent many years in teaching, I found that bright kids did very well whatever the school was like, it was the low ability kids that didn't progress as well as they should. So if anything, we need more special schools. Actually what we need is to get rid of public schools, I'm pretty sure that if Mr and Mrs X of Dulwich had to send their kid to the nearest Comp, they would put pressure on the Government to improve our education system (which I think, is actually quite good).

Or invent free schools, which is exactly what happened with Mr and Mrs X from Hounslow.

It's hard to argue against points made RE: faith schools. It's just that they work, I don't know why anyone would want to dismantle an education (mini) system that actually works.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions