London SE1 community website

Events in Potters Field Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Saturday 19 June 2004 2.12pm
Very interesting

I can't imagine what Berkeley homes will make of that
Saturday 19 June 2004 2.25pm
Life's a beach!

I imagine the Queen recoiled in horror when she heard Horse Guards Parade is to be used for beach volleyball if London wins the 2012 Olympics.
I have sent Her Majesty an email asking if she would join the SE1'ers in a bid to have the sand from the O2 event and the Volleyball recycled to spruce up the moorings when the tide is out.

http://www.london2012.org/en/bid/venues/venuelist/HorseGuardsParade.htm
Saturday 19 June 2004 2.52pm
Why don't we ask Nick Lacey to provide a mooring for a swimming pool and beach as in Paris! No one could complain about that .
Saturday 19 June 2004 4.23pm
I can guarantee that, whatever you do, however wonderful most people think it is, someone will complain.
Saturday 19 June 2004 6.55pm
If London hosts the Olympics Potters Fields will be one of the most important riverside sites

I don't know weather its (including coach park)actually big enough to host the beach volley ball itself

But it would be a focal point for all the visitors .with related events

That's a good reason to delay any decision about building on the coach park until we know, next year, whether we will be hosting the Olympics.
Monday 21 June 2004 4.30pm
As a person who both lives and works adjacent to PF, I can't see why the new beach plans can't work.
I understand from a letter I received through my letterbox on Friday that O2 have listened to concerns of residents and now plan to put the entire beach in the vacant coach park.
Also looks like they have reduced the number of activities as well.
So it actually looks as though they will in fact be increasing the amount of recreation space at PF - not restricting it.
I went to Paris last year and thought their beach was really cool.
God, if the French can create a beach that the locals love, why can't Southwark?
Monday 21 June 2004 4.30pm
Ross, in reply to your post above in the other thread:

To answer your question (and this is only my opinion):

I don't think anyone here is against the beach idea in principle - it's the siting of it on Potters Field Park that some people don't agree with.

The park is a local amenity, used by local residents, every day of the week. What O2 was originally proposing was the removal of that local amenity, (with almost no consultation), to be replaced with something that would have a more limited appeal to most local residents, as well as being a vehicle for corporate sponsorship, that also attracts large crowds to the area.

There are lots of other vacant sites around there that could be used (like the bit where the balloon tours were, or the coach park) that wouldn't lead to the loss of the park for local residents

If you lived and worked near it during the David Blaine event, you will know the problems caused both during and after the event. Crowds of people, litter, and a big clean up bill. Also, we couldn't use most of the park for five months afterwards !

If what you say is right, I'm glad O2 has decided to listen to people's concerns and come up with a compromise that meets these concerns, but still lets the event go ahead.

Edited for spelling - as usual...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 June 2004 4.32pm by Siduhe.
Monday 21 June 2004 5.00pm
i was wandering past there yesterday and had the 'pleasure' of seeing james fox(?) - the uk eurovision song contest blokee - singing robbie williams songs ....

only in SE1!!!!!!!!!!
Monday 21 June 2004 7.57pm
Siduhe,

The event is taking place in the coach park, not the green area. It will finsih by 9pm every night, there will be extra toilets installed and stewards and security guards. That's according to O2's leaflet we got last Thursday. If you believe O2 (and I would trust their word more than Southwark's) it doesn't sound too bad. Can't wait for it myself ;-)
Tuesday 22 June 2004 9.18am
Trust we'll all be making our views known tonight

POTTERS FIELDS BEACH: OPEN CONSULTATIVE MEETING
Tuesday 22 June
7pm at the Beormund Community Centre, 177 Abbey Street
Map: http://quicklink.se1direct.co.uk/?id=760
As a result of complaints from local community
representatives O2 now propose to put their "beach" on
the coach park for five weeks from late July, rather
than on the grassed area of Potters Fields. On Tuesday
theey are hosting an open meeting to get more opinions
from local residents.
http://www.elephantlinks.co.uk/BeormundCentre
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions