London SE1 community website

Youths throwing fireworks on Weston St, near Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 1 November 2016 8.08am
boroughonian wrote:
I think they could at least raise the legal age of buying them to 21. I wonder if shops are as stringent with fireworks as they are with alcohol regarding age.


Colour me cynical boroughonian, but I can't see shopkeepers, particularly corner convenience store owners, carding many customers over firework sales.
The myopic Keystone Kops, citing cutbacks will be conspicuous by their absence too.
In addition, enterprising 21 y.o.'s will snap fireworks up, and sell them to any kids with the money.
Wednesday 2 November 2016 6.42pm
You're probably right Tom, but something has to happen, it's going on all over London.....

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/shocking-moment-youth-shoots-firework-at-girl-8-before-being-tackled-by-man-in-stamford-hill-a3384446.html

I think I'll try writing to Mr Coyle regarding this, it's plain ridiculous.
Thursday 3 November 2016 12.32am
boroughonian wrote:
You're probably right Tom, but something has to happen, it's going on all over London.....
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/shocking-moment-youth-shoots-firework-at-girl-8-before-being-tackled-by-man-in-stamford-hill-a3384446.html

I think I'll try writing to Mr Coyle regarding this, it's plain ridiculous.


Good luck with that, I emailed his office 14 days ago, to ask if there were any plans to do something about the toxic fumes along Jamaica Road while Tower Bridge is closed, like lifting the CC as far as Blackfriars or maybe Waterloo bridges.
So far I've been met with a deafening silence.
Thursday 3 November 2016 9.12am
Debrajoan wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
You're probably right Tom, but something has to happen, it's going on all over London.....
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/shocking-moment-youth-shoots-firework-at-girl-8-before-being-tackled-by-man-in-stamford-hill-a3384446.html

I think I'll try writing to Mr Coyle regarding this, it's plain ridiculous.


Good luck with that, I emailed his office 14 days ago, to ask if there were any plans to do something about the toxic fumes along Jamaica Road while Tower Bridge is closed, like lifting the CC as far as Blackfriars or maybe Waterloo bridges.
So far I've been met with a deafening silence.

I wrote to him last night, this will be the third time and I'm yet to have a reply, I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the last two as he'd not long been in the position long. We'll see.
Hughes never failed to respond to me, I never once voted for him.
Thursday 3 November 2016 9.38am
boroughonian wrote:
Debrajoan wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
You're probably right Tom, but something has to happen, it's going on all over London.....
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/shocking-moment-youth-shoots-firework-at-girl-8-before-being-tackled-by-man-in-stamford-hill-a3384446.html

I think I'll try writing to Mr Coyle regarding this, it's plain ridiculous.


Good luck with that, I emailed his office 14 days ago, to ask if there were any plans to do something about the toxic fumes along Jamaica Road while Tower Bridge is closed, like lifting the CC as far as Blackfriars or maybe Waterloo bridges.
So far I've been met with a deafening silence.

I wrote to him last night, this will be the third time and I'm yet to have a reply, I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the last two as he'd not long been in the position long. We'll see.
Hughes never failed to respond to me, I never once voted for him.

Coyle is too busy with the goings on at The House: it isn't easy to be in opposition to both the Government and your own party leader. His hands mu be really full.

The only times he will engage, is when there is a photo-op on the cards...
Thursday 3 November 2016 9.51am
Debrajoan wrote:
...
Good luck with that, I emailed his office 14 days ago, to ask if there were any plans to do something about the toxic fumes along Jamaica Road while Tower Bridge is closed, like lifting the CC as far as Blackfriars or maybe Waterloo bridges.
So far I've been met with a deafening silence.

I, too, have been struck by our MPs silence on nearly all approaches. As Jules says, he must be kept busy slagging off his party leadership in the Murdoch papers.

However, this isn't something he can do much about.

The bridge works, the Congestion Charge, and the management of major roads are all TfL's responsibility. TfL works for the Mayor and is accountable to the GLA, so it would be more effective (and more likely to get a response) to get in touch with assembly members (the local one or one known to be interested in congestion and pollution issues).
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions