London SE1 community website

Looking for a Christmas tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 1 December 2016 1.21pm
John C wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Denise's Flowers and {the fruit shop whose name I can't remember} - both on Great Suffolk Street - sell tress every year.
The florist has been open on Sundays for the last few weeks.

Some may remember they were in trouble last year when their landlord (City of London Corporation) claimed they didn't have a licence to sell Christmas trees(!) - has that been sorted out? Are they definitely selling trees this year?

Really not interested in getting into that debate. Just answering OP's question. Pretty sure I saw the veg shop selling trees, but may have been hallucinating.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 1 December 2016 3.06pm
The greengrocer in GSS isn't selling Christmas trees this year. They're also closing for refurbishment from 16th December to beginning of January, so it wouldn't make sense for them to stock trees, even if they were now allowed to.
Thursday 1 December 2016 3.29pm
My mistake, then, Suzi. Thought I'd seen them one recent morning. Sorry for any confusion.

Thursday 1 December 2016 3.56pm
That's OK - you're probably like me - I see a greengrocer and I expect to see Christmas trees!
Thursday 1 December 2016 5.26pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
John C wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Denise's Flowers and {the fruit shop whose name I can't remember} - both on Great Suffolk Street - sell tress every year.
The florist has been open on Sundays for the last few weeks.

Some may remember they were in trouble last year when their landlord (City of London Corporation) claimed they didn't have a licence to sell Christmas trees(!) - has that been sorted out? Are they definitely selling trees this year?

Really not interested in getting into that debate. Just answering OP's question. Pretty sure I saw the veg shop selling trees, but may have been hallucinating.

I didn't want to get into the debate either, Ivanhoe - just asking if they were selling trees - suziq has answered my question so I'll have to look elsewhere this year.
Thursday 1 December 2016 11.31pm
Denises?
Their trees used to be the same price as the fruit shop

Friday 2 December 2016 9.21am
Don't know if this is a particularly expensive year for Christmas trees, but the tree I bought from the florist in GSS last year was 45 (non-drop, blue fir, or something like that), a six foot tree this year is 65 and I don't think it's one of the more expensive blue fir ones either. Seems a bit steep somehow, but I have no idea if they're that price everywhere, so perhaps that's normal.
Friday 2 December 2016 9.55am
Ouch! That's really expensive.

Friday 2 December 2016 10.22am
Thank you for advice everyone. Very helpful!
Friday 2 December 2016 3.01pm
East Street market! Not far at all from the Elephant. They have a vendor selling Christmas trees of all sizes in December much cheaper than most other places. Sometimes even throw in some mistletoe for free!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions