London SE1 community website

The Grange Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 6 December 2016 5.50pm
No we didn't overrun the place. We had booked and the place was not busy (as it never is) - virtually empty when we arrived.

The kids were not climbing furniture, mine got up on the sofa for a second. You are taking things out of context. I stand by my review - look on trip advisor for more reviews about the fabulously aggressive owner.
Tuesday 6 December 2016 10.40pm
'Fabulously aggressive'?
Tuesday 6 December 2016 10.49pm
Just took a look at trip adviser. Solid 4 star profile as far as I can see. Seems your experience was out of the ordinary, which is a shame. Genuinely hope it was a misunderstanding.
Wednesday 7 December 2016 12.20am
vickt wrote:
No we didn't overrun the place. We had booked and the place was not busy (as it never is) - virtually empty when we arrived.
The kids were not climbing furniture, mine got up on the sofa for a second. You are taking things out of context. I stand by my review - look on trip advisor for more reviews about the fabulously aggressive owner.

Wednesday 7 December 2016 4.22pm
Jules62 wrote:
vickt wrote:

Pretty sure someone could also just post an image of all the good reviews (of which there seem to be many more).
Wednesday 7 December 2016 5.49pm
Guy's street wrote:
Pretty sure someone could also just post an image of all the good reviews (of which there seem to be many more).

Over one person in six (11 out of a total of 60) gave a negative review: this isn't something that should be ignored...
Thursday 8 December 2016 12.07am
You are far more likely to post a negative review then you are a positive one. That is why customer loyalty scores (or Net Promoter scores) are only calculated by only counting those who rate you 8/9 or 10 out of 10. 11/60 reviews is 18%, so 82% are positive. They just aren't as exciting, or exaggerated.
Thursday 8 December 2016 10.01am
No review to post about The Grange but barrierdickson NO ONE has the right to shout or have a moan at someone else's kid especially a 4 year old.If any staff member had a problem with the child's behaviour they should of spoken to the parent or adult in charge,if it had been my grandchild I would never of even paid for my meal or that of the people in my company.While some kids can be unruly you just don't have a go at someone's little kid.I wonder not that many would but if a full grown adult would of been the one on the sofa would they have been moaned or shouted at ? Probably not they more than likely would of been asked politely to get off the furniture.So staff at The Grange or any other establishments like that don't be bully's be the adult your meant to be and speak calmly and respectfully to the appropriate adult...Rant over
Sunday 11 December 2016 12.02am
All due respect, real-crimes, but I have worked in customer service for almost 20 years, and to not address children directly is a ridiculous precedent to set. Every situation is different but, for example, their safety was at risk it would be near negligent not to intervene. I think there are ways and means to deal with these situations and in this situation the parent too offence, which they are quite within they're rights to do, but that does not mean the manager is 'aggressive' or the pub is a 'must avoid'.
Thursday 15 December 2016 10.12am
Just to even the Balance on this one a bit, I've been popping into the Grange on and off since Matt, the new owner, took over about three years ago. I've always found it to be a positive experience - nice atmosphere, I like the food, and it's a good place to go for a drink away from the fleshpots of Bermondsey Street (and on a stretch of road that hasn't many other options, so welcome in that regard to friends who do live very nearby and use it a lot). It's also got one of the best secret gardens of any pub in the area. Lovely in warmer weather.

The thing I particularly like is that he's worked hard to retain existing customers as well as inviting incomers who've no doubt recently moved into the swank flats springing up around there. Yes, the prices are probably higher than other pubs down towards the Blue, but, as said, everyone is welcome, and many long-term local residents clearly like it and still use it. It's a nice mix of people.

I just think it's a bit unfair to label it 'avoid' based on one bad experience. People should go along and judge for themselves. I, for one, like it a lot and have only ever found Matt and his staff friendly and very welcoming.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions