London SE1 community website

house sparrows

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 25 December 2016 12.08am
Bernie Spain garden is full of sparrows.
Sunday 25 December 2016 9.22am
The Theed St sparrows have moved to the thick foliage at the back of houses on Whittlesey Street, ie still in Theed Street. I am not sure they all moved but there are always some around
Saturday 31 December 2016 7.44am
I saw a gang of gulls swoop down and chase a wood pigeon off into the skies .Probably on contract to supply Anchor & Hope with main ingredient for their Sunday lunches.I couldn't watch what happened to the hapless pigeon, but it didn't bode well.
Sunday 1 January 2017 3.02pm
Not sure why Sparrows are disappearing from London, but they have been replaced with some crackers. Loads of Blue Tits and see plenty of Robins, both of which are, or can be, nasty little so an' sos and possibly played a part in the driving out of the Sparrows (there's an analogy here somewhere). The (I think) Pied Wagtails in Lower Marsh are just fantastic, you get the sense that they believe they have as much right to walk the pavement as us. I was idling down there the other day looking at the floor and one just got out the way of my clumsy foot.
Sunday 1 January 2017 4.51pm
I love the white wagtails on Lower Marsh. Three are the most I have counted but mainly a single bird at a time and they have become so unafraid of the public and its footfall. A year or so ago when I first noticed them they were quite wary and kept at least six feet away from scurrying feet but now they seem to dare us to walk in their footsteps. They are a delight and I do hope they breed successfully again.
Wednesday 4 January 2017 8.11pm
I think all the sparrows have moved to Essex.
Thursday 5 January 2017 1.57pm
Plenty of house sparrows where I leave in E&C. I guess that's because we have lots of overgrown bushes in our garden.
Friday 6 January 2017 1.39pm
Well all sounds most promising then.A truly veritable David Attenborough wildlife area :)

Cotswolds 12
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions