London SE1 community website

Cycle lane outside new Sainsbury's on NKR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Thursday 2 February 2017 5.32pm
spindrift wrote:
That's a Floating Bus Stop, they're pretty common, there's been one outside the hospital on Whitechapel for years with no problems.

It's not a "floating bus stop". That would involve there actually being some usable pavement between the building and the cycle lane (as there is all the way up the Blackfriars Road). In such an arrangement, people waiting for the bus can congregate at the bus stop, cyclists can travel up and down the cycle lane, and pedestrians can walk freely in the space between the building and the cycle lane.

Checking the photo I took the other week, the gap between the building and the cycle path is a bit less than a metre (ie not wide enough for an infrequently used public footpath across a field), although even this was fenced off at the time, and there's a few inches between the cycle lane and the back of the bus stop.

Therefore, anyone seeking to walk along the New Kent Road at this point is forced to either mix with the cyclists or bus congregation, neither of which make for a good pedestrian experience.
Thursday 2 February 2017 7.47pm
I as thinking of this at Whitechapel:

Thursday 2 February 2017 10.11pm
It needs a fence. Pedestrians are not observing it in any way.
Friday 3 February 2017 11.05am
That's what I was thinking of, too, Spindrift.

Imagine that, but with the following changes:
a) Cycle lane is level with pavement, merely demarcated with paint.
b) Cycle lane is straight, potentially allowing cyclists to pick up speed
c) The pavement on the left between the shops and the cycle lane narrowed such that two people cannot comfortably pass.

That's what's been built on the NKR.
Friday 3 February 2017 6.30pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
That's what I was thinking of, too, Spindrift.
Imagine that, but with the following changes:
a) Cycle lane is level with pavement, merely demarcated with paint.
b) Cycle lane is straight, potentially allowing cyclists to pick up speed
c) The pavement on the left between the shops and the cycle lane narrowed such that two people cannot comfortably pass.

That's what's been built on the NKR.

Add also that the NKR cycle lane carries two-way traffic!
Friday 10 February 2017 3.28pm
I'm a cyclist, and a pedestrian, and experienced it for the first time yesterday (walking) - it is an accident waiting to happen. There's no room to walk near the bus stops, full stop. Very badly designed. Ok if it existed already, but it needs to be changed for the sheer volume of people round those bus stops and the shop. As a cyclist I'd not fancy using it either.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions