London SE1 community website

Coliving

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 25 February 2017 10.09am
janefs wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
janefs wrote:
From the developer's proposal: 'We will consider all comments received as we develop the planning application'

Yeah: they'll consider all comments a nuisance as they steamroll forward with the application...

All developers carry out 'consultations' with the public and local stakeholders, but in my experience little comes of it.

I was merely pointing to the reason Sarah V couldn't find a planning application. Given the habit of Southwark to not write to local residents these days or even place planning notices near the site it is best to keep an eagle eye on the planning register and respond with comments.

Thanks janefs and Jules62.
I will keep a look out for the planning application and add my comments although my cynical side would be tempted to agree with Jules62. So much of Bermondsey's heritage seems to have disappeared under concrete over the last few years. Demolishing older buildings in good condition, rather than restoring and incorporating them to enhance new developments, seems to have become the default mode.
Sunday 26 February 2017 10.33am
I live in Empire Square, next to the proposed development, and our residents association has confirmed that the developer is still taking comments so please do complete the feedback form. If it goes ahead as planned, me and many others will have a 9 or 14 storey building 3-4 metres from our only windows!

Anyway, whether you like the idea or not, if comments are not given voices have no chance of being heard so would encourage you all to give feedback. I have to say I am suspicious of any developer who gives beautiful, coloured drawings rather than CGI representations of what it will actually look like and how it will have an impact on the skyline and neighbours.

Larry
Sunday 26 February 2017 5.42pm
larrydavid wrote:
I live in Empire Square, next to the proposed development, and our residents association has confirmed that the developer is still taking comments so please do complete the feedback form. If it goes ahead as planned, me and many others will have a 9 or 14 storey building 3-4 metres from our only windows!
Anyway, whether you like the idea or not, if comments are not given voices have no chance of being heard so would encourage you all to give feedback. I have to say I am suspicious of any developer who gives beautiful, coloured drawings rather than CGI representations of what it will actually look like and how it will have an impact on the skyline and neighbours.

Larry

Us Draper House residents were amply 'consulted' by Crookfields (the Strata Tower developers more commonly known as Brookfields).

We participated fully in this sham 'consultation' in the misguided notion that we could effect change, and wrote to the council, our councilors and our MP expressing our concerns regarding the erecting of such a massive tower so close to our homes.

What was the result of this engagement with the developer? I used to have a breathtaking unimpeded 180º east facing view. Now I have this:

Sunday 26 February 2017 6.06pm
There's a lot of info available, for example this and this

The points below are lifted from a blog found by searching for 'how to object to a planning application'. To summarise, the following are the grounds on which planning permission is most likely to be refused (although this list is not intended to be definitive) :

• Adverse effect on the residential amenity of neighbours, by reason of (among other factors) noise*, disturbance*, overlooking, loss of privacy, overshadowing / loss of light (but not loss of acquired rights to light), etc. [*but note that this does not include noise or disturbance arising from the actual execution of the works, which will not be taken into account, except possibly in relation to conditions that may be imposed on the planning permission, dealing with hours and methods of working, etc. during the development]
• Unacceptably high density / over-development of the site, especially if it involves loss of garden land or the open aspect of the neighbourhood (so-called ‘garden grabbing’)
• Visual impact of the development
• Effect of the development on the character of the neighbourhood
• Design (including bulk and massing, detailing and materials, if these form part of the application)
• The proposed development is over-bearing, out-of-scale or out of character in terms of its appearance compared with existing development in the vicinity
• The loss of existing views from neighbouring properties would adversely affect the residential amenity of neighbouring owners
• [If in a Conservation Area, adverse effect of the development on the character and appearance of the Conservation Area]
• [If near a Listed Building, adverse effect of the development on the setting of the Listed Building.]
• The development would adversely affect highway safety or the convenience of road users [but only if there is technical evidence to back up such a claim].

I suspect (from my own experience) the best you can hope for is a reduction in the number of floors to reduce the mass of the building. The sketches showing views from adjacent streets make it look like a very plain slab, but no doubt flattering computer visuals will be prepared for the actual application.
Monday 27 February 2017 3.13pm
Thanks Janefs that's really helpful information. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the outcome you deserved.

Everyone I have shown the plans for Long Lane say that they would be amazed if the developer could build a 9 storey building 3 metres from our only windows. Some parts of our building are only 4 or 5 storeys high - the highest point in this section of Empire Square is 7 floors but that would have the 14 storey part in front of it. I suppose we will just have to do our best to put in a strong opposition and hope to get some adaptions made to the proposal. It hasn't even gone to planning yet so fingers crossed.

Larry
Wednesday 8 March 2017 12.38pm
Another immersive theatre production taking place soon in the building:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/18642/montagues-and-capulets

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 14 June 2017 7.49pm
Just seen a poster advertising a meeting tomorrow night with the developers of the site. Not sure who put up the poster, possibly a local resident?
Wednesday 14 June 2017 9.52pm
Peter Davis wrote:
Just seen a poster advertising a meeting tomorrow night with the developers of the site. Not sure who put up the poster, possibly a local resident?
Gosh! Thanks Peter.
I had no idea this was on. Will try to make it tomorrow.
The developers have obviously passed responsibility for communications about the project over to the experts i.e. Hard Hat: http://www.hardhat.co.uk/
Don't seem to have done a great job so far! I wonder why.
Where did you see this poster, by the way?

Sarah
Wednesday 14 June 2017 11.21pm
[quote Sarah V][quote Peter Davis]Just seen a poster advertising a meeting tomorrow night with the developers of the site. Not sure who put up the poster, possibly a local resident?

Gosh! Thanks Peter.
The developers have obviously passed responsibility for communications about the project over to the experts i.e. Hard Hat: http://www.hardhat.co.uk/

Sarah[/quote]

Hello Sarah

I am the Chair of a local Tenants & Resients Association that represents some properties on Long Lane, and at was stuck over one of our noticeboards. I received an email from Old Bermondsey Village Neighbourhood Forum that says a poster was put up in the local Tesco. Just because of the way it refers to Empire Square, I think it has been put up by a local, very poor if done by the company organising the consultation.
Wednesday 14 June 2017 11.46pm
[quote Peter Davis][quote Sarah V][quote Peter Davis]Just seen a poster advertising a meeting tomorrow night with the developers of the site. Not sure who put up the poster, possibly a local resident?

Gosh! Thanks Peter.

Sarah[/quote]

Hello Sarah

I am the Chair of a local Tenants & Resients Association that represents some properties on Long Lane, and at was stuck over one of our noticeboards. I received an email from Old Bermondsey Village Neighbourhood Forum that says a poster was put up in the local Tesco. Just because of the way it refers to Empire Square, I think it has been put up by a local, very poor if done by the company organising the consultation.[/quote]

How strange. It isn't clear who has organised the meeting from the poster except that it seems that the room at The Boot and Flogger has been reserved in the name of Hard Hat.
Well, I intend to go along tomorrow so no doubt will find out.
Thanks for posting on here.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions