London SE1 community website

Hasan Kebab Restaurant TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 23 March 2017 2.16pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:
The story about his pools winnings is interesting but I'm still none the wiser - if indeed he never actually got his hands on the winnings - as to how his perennially empty kebab shop managed to survive for so long. (Compare and contrast to Lebo on NKR, busy at all times of the day and night.) I guess it'll remain one of life's little mysteries...

I'm guessing, but once there were lots of pubs and clubs in and around the Old Kent Road and this part of Bermondsey, which seems unbelievable now. In the 80s and 90s a night out usually culminated in a large donner and chips, often discovered the next morning half eaten. Hopefully Mr Hasan has been able to take life easier on the profits he made then from the customers of Samsons, the World Turned Upside Down and the Gin Palace (all RIP) etc. This could probably be a good social history study, Did rave culture kill the post pub kebab?
Friday 24 March 2017 11.33am
I only ever went in there once and sorry to say it was the worst kebab I have ever eaten :( I also wonder every time I pass the empty restaurant how he survives... With Tower Caf gone we haven't had a decent kebab in almost a year :(

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Tuesday 28 March 2017 11.11am
Although the restaurant remains closed, Mr Hasan can be seen sitting inside, at the back, in the dark - doing possibly not much (I can't tell for sure and feel it would be rude to take a prolonged look through the window).

And this is at all times of the day - even at 8am on a Sunday morning while I was out walking the dog.

I'm a bit worried for the fella. Does anyone know if he has friends or acquaintances in the area who can check on him and see if he's alright?
Tuesday 28 March 2017 2.29pm
I have seen other people with him at the back of the shop on a couple of occasions recently, so I don't think he is totally alone.
Wednesday 24 May 2017 11.05am
I saw some signs that its under new management and has CCTV recording. Hopefully something other than a coffee shop will be opening there.
Wednesday 24 May 2017 11.51am
Michael P wrote:
Bel Ludovic wrote:
The story about his pools winnings is interesting but I'm still none the wiser - if indeed he never actually got his hands on the winnings - as to how his perennially empty kebab shop managed to survive for so long. (Compare and contrast to Lebo on NKR, busy at all times of the day and night.) I guess it'll remain one of life's little mysteries...

I'm guessing, but once there were lots of pubs and clubs in and around the Old Kent Road and this part of Bermondsey, which seems unbelievable now. In the 80s and 90s a night out usually culminated in a large donner and chips, often discovered the next morning half eaten. Hopefully Mr Hasan has been able to take life easier on the profits he made then from the customers of Samsons, the World Turned Upside Down and the Gin Palace (all RIP) etc. This could probably be a good social history study, Did rave culture kill the post pub kebab?

Probably the fact that all those pubs died didn't help, but you're right, Gilly's, Uncles and the Horseshoe briefly. I think he did a decent trade in burgers etc. I never had a kebab out of there, I headed straight (ish) to the chicken shop after the pub, it was always packed.
Friday 9 June 2017 6.37pm
I was blessed enough to have a donor from there just before all this, after a wake in The George TBR for a local lady of standing.
I was 3 sheets to the wind & starving but unfortunately it was still rank.
Used to be a great one on BHS under the railway bridge by Billy Hills.
El Turkistan also had a good turn out.
The one on Long Lane next door to The Ship was good on it's day(night time really) until those 2 fellas were properly carved up & it never opened again but that was quite a few moons ago.
I do have a soft spot for a greasy kebab & a sweet sherry every now & again.
Saturday 10 June 2017 8.31am
Golden Grill on Spa Road does a blinding Doner & great Fish too ☺

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Monday 12 June 2017 12.13am
Michael P wrote:
Yes, the story is that he should have won a lot of money on the pools but the agent pocketed the money and never submitted his form. I can remember it being on the local news many year ago.

I have no wish to tread on anyone's toes and say that they're wrong, but I definitely recall the story of the pools collector sticking the dough from a kebab shop owner on the corner of Dockhead and Jamaica Road, around 25 years back, maybe it was the same guy but he sold up and moved to TBR.
Monday 12 June 2017 9.14am
It is the same man he owned one at Dockhead also. He did look frail when I saw him last year too. Don't know if his wife is still alive, Ozgul I think her name was. I think his son was very very poorly so perhaps years ago he lost interest in running tbr.shop. As I said before very pleasant man, my mum liked him as he used to give her a big smile and wave. Hope he's okay.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions