London SE1 community website

Chronic long term lower back pain

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Zoe
Saturday 18 February 2017 7.28pm
Are you keeping up the exercises after the class? I know they are tiresome but it really does work. Once I discovered I had stomach muscles under all the fat I have focussed on trying to keep them strengthened, which is no easy feat. My physio also recommended swimming, which I find difficult to do locally but it does help. I don't think there is one answer, it's lots of little things.
Saturday 18 February 2017 9.00pm
Hi Ladywriter - goodness you have been in the wars- bless ya.
Just thought there is also a supplement (Holl & Barrett- blue bottle) again it won't be a solve - but it helps with pain - called MSM ( heavy magnesium again) takes a week to kick in and you have to shovel it down but it works for many - sending love.
Sunday 19 February 2017 6.25pm
Zoe wrote:
Are you keeping up the exercises after the class? I know they are tiresome but it really does work. Once I discovered I had stomach muscles under all the fat I have focussed on trying to keep them strengthened, which is no easy feat. My physio also recommended swimming, which I find difficult to do locally but it does help. I don't think there is one answer, it's lots of little things.
Hi, last year when my back went on me again, I started up swimming, then when it eased I got tendinitus in both arms, physio said I should not continue with the swimming until tendinitus eases and not use the gym either, so I stopped doing both as advised. Then along with the tendon pains in both arms my back pain returned again, so have both now. I cant win whatever I do, swimming is no good for the arm pains tendons but good for back pain, cant use gym while tendons weak and have to be careful with it on my back as well. You asked did I keep up the physio exercises, I did for a while but was advised to ease them off when got tendon pains in arms. Whats good for one thing is no good for another. I started up Pilates before but could not even attempt it now. I know I need to drop some weight but exercise is limited currently. But am gradually managing to walk a bit further now then I could before. At least walking is safe for arms and legs and back.
Sunday 19 February 2017 6.30pm
Kory wrote:
Hi Ladywriter - goodness you have been in the wars- bless ya.
Just thought there is also a supplement (Holl & Barrett- blue bottle) again it won't be a solve - but it helps with pain - called MSM ( heavy magnesium again) takes a week to kick in and you have to shovel it down but it works for many - sending love.
Thanks I will look for it. fish oils were also suggested to ease it.
Sunday 19 February 2017 11.23pm
Hi LW- as I understand it fish oil helps with mobility of joints but the things I mentioned Epsom Salts/MSM are to aid pain - sending you love
Monday 20 February 2017 9.56am
In my case, I found walking really helped. I tried to do it during my lunch break and it was much easier to sit at the office in the afternoon. After losing some weight, the pain then disappeared. Even 5-10 pounds make a huge difference.
Monday 20 February 2017 5.58pm
connie wrote:
In my case, I found walking really helped. I tried to do it during my lunch break and it was much easier to sit at the office in the afternoon. After losing some weight, the pain then disappeared. Even 5-10 pounds make a huge difference.
This is what I have started to do, to try and drop weight to help it. I am a little over weight for my height according to the bmi charts. I am short as well which does not help. I do walking to and can manage a bit more now.
Monday 20 February 2017 6.20pm
Hi I am a student at British school of osteopathy, and as curatrix mentioned the chronic pain management course mentioned is called Osteomap here is the link for informationhttp://www.bso.ac.uk/bso-news-and-events/recent-news-and-events/do-you-have-chronic-pain-are-you-interested-in-trying-osteomap/
Zoe
Monday 20 February 2017 8.57pm
You really are in the wars, what a nightmare poor you.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions