London SE1 community website

Pedestrian crossings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 9 March 2017 12.08pm
Alberta Ally wrote:
If subways are for the future, then put cars and other road traffic in them. The Elephant and Castle subway closures have been a real bonus for people like me who found them dark, dirty, smelly and unsafe (especially at night). Time allowed for pedestrian crossing depends on two different scenarios. Where the traffic is stopped to allow other traffic to move / cross etc, then obviously time has to be allowed for vehicles to get through. Where it's simply a question of allowing pedestrians to cross a road, then time allowed for this can be much shorter (e.g. Kennington Lane - where the crossing near Renfrew Road is barely 12 seconds!!) And we need to have far less cars, lorries etc. in Central London. I've given up my car completely and use public transport and my feet.

For the record, I'm a pedestrian and have never driven a car in my life. I'm sorry you felt that way about the subways, you was wrong to though but it would be understandable I suppose for anyone to come to the area and think they were crap. They needn't have been dirty, smelly or dim and they were never dangerous.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions