London SE1 community website

Giddy Grocer on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 10 May 2017 9.06am
Eric wrote:
Many of us want to support independent British producers with the ethical implications that support implies (humane animal husbandry, no pesticides, good land management, etc.) but sadly without the efficiencies of scale of industrial farming, the products of small independents need to be more expensive for their businesses to be sustainable.

Independents do manage to compete on price with the supermarkets. Bell & Sons (the Blue) and Buntings in Peckham Park Road immediately spring to mind.

The chap behind Giddy Grocer clearly believes the people of Bermondsey Street to be gullible and willing to pay over the odds and, by him employing some fancy/enticing wording, will believe they're getting a better product. It's a bit like trying to selling an old sideboard over at Brick Lane for a tenner and getting no interest; raise the price to 250 and people think they're getting something special and they flock to buy it.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 10.11am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Eric wrote:
Many of us want to support independent British producers with the ethical implications that support implies (humane animal husbandry, no pesticides, good land management, etc.) but sadly without the efficiencies of scale of industrial farming, the products of small independents need to be more expensive for their businesses to be sustainable.

The chap behind Giddy Grocer clearly believes the people of Bermondsey Street to be gullible and willing to pay over the odds and, by him employing some fancy/enticing wording, will believe they're getting a better product.

You don't think you could possibly be over-reacting slightly based on one clumsily-worded line on his website? Why not just give these guys a break and a chance and wait till the place is open before piling in with the criticisms?

If they do lovely British apples and some of the UK's rarer berries and veg, then I'll give them a go for sure.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 10.16am
Gavin Smith wrote:

Independents do manage to compete on price with the supermarkets. Bell & Sons (the Blue) and Buntings in Peckham Park Road immediately spring to mind.

Certain overheads (i.e. rent and rates) are considerably cheaper in the Blue and on Peckham Park Road which will give businesses located there a little more room to charge lower, more competitive prices. I'm not saying Giddy Grocer's assumed higher pricing (does anyone actually know what their prices will be yet) are justified, I'm just pointing out that the location will have a baring on the business' costs. I used to have my office on Bermondsey St and now it's in my warehouse on the other side of the Blue (couldn't afford the street any longer) so I have a reasonable idea of the crazy disparity in rents within less than a mile.

Personally it is unlikely that I will shop at this new place; as much as I may like to support independents and local producers, I don't have either the time or money to do so. Maybe one day when I actually start making money from my business and the kids have all left home.... I'll have to stick to Asda for now :-(

I do love Bell & Sons though, but regrettably only shop their maybe a couple of times a year; always for my Christmas meat and once or twice in the summer for BBQ meat if we're lucky enough to get a bit of sun.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 10.23am
Well said Lucy. This thread saddens me. A new independent shop is about to open on Bermondsey street and the poor guy is being slatted before the doors are even open.

I liked how Gavin Smith open with " Independents do manage to compete on price with the supermarkets" and backed this up with examples but then goes on to exclaim how this shop will definitely be over priced simply because of the use of a (all be it slightly pretentious) word and the fact the shop will be on Bermondsey street. No facts or examples to back it up. Maybe you will be proved right but please give the guy a chance!

i look forward to checking it out. If its over priced, I personally wont use it but I would much rather this shop than another pret, costa or other chain or bar on Bermondsey street.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 10.36am
I agree with Coffee and Lucy- let us just see what it is going to be like. It is a fact that rents on Bermondsey Street are high, so it is inevitable that prices will be higher.

Ideally, the shop has a fair price range from affordable to more expensive- for me it is about a mix of products that allows many different customers with different budgets to come to this shop.

On the one hand we complain about the powerful supermarkets eliminating the independent shopkeepers and on the other hand the new independents tend to only supply for the wealthy.
Inclusion and regeneration should be about creating businesses that are accessible to all.

A delicate balance.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 12.48pm
I love independent shops, restaurants etc. Sadly they've all but disappeared in my neck of the woods so I look forward to checking this one out and if they're good then I hope they thrive.

This thread was just kicked off with a little gag at their expense. That's all - easy tiger.....
Wednesday 10 May 2017 12.50pm
At least they're getting talked about.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 2.33pm
I wish him well and if people are happy to pay the price then all power to his cabbages, apples and (English) carrots.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 2.39pm
maurits wrote:
I agree with Coffee and Lucy- let us just see what it is going to be like. It is a fact that rents on Bermondsey Street are high, so it is inevitable that prices will be higher.
Ideally, the shop has a fair price range from affordable to more expensive- for me it is about a mix of products that allows many different customers with different budgets to come to this shop.

On the one hand we complain about the powerful supermarkets eliminating the independent shopkeepers and on the other hand the new independents tend to only supply for the wealthy.
Inclusion and regeneration should be about creating businesses that are accessible to all.

A delicate balance.

To come back to my earlier point: a good example is the recently opened wine shop Le Chevalier on Tower Bridge Road. They sell a high end range of rather quirky wines and, indeed, at steep prices. But they also sell 5 wines from the barrel in reusable bottles, for under a tenner. This is excellent wine and definitely in the affordable price bracket. A good example of what I tried to explain.
Wednesday 10 May 2017 10.27pm
How much Tolstoy do you know they will charge?. It's so often the case that independents are cheaper but big marketing budgets make you believed large supermarkets are cheaper!. They are not always!.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions