London SE1 community website

Proposed 275 bed Hotel in Ufford Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 15 May 2017 2.45pm
alisonanne wrote:
Really bonkers. There may a shortage of hotel rooms somewhere in Southwark but not around Waterloo!

Haha very true.

Note their deceptive argument: the borough of Southwark is huge, and obviously it doesn't have as many hotel beds as Westminster because people want to stay in Westminster, not Southwark!

But around the Waterloo area there are loads of hotels.
Monday 15 May 2017 2.48pm
This planning proposal just gets bigger and bigger.

Originally it was a two-storey residential development.

Then it became a 3/4 storey residential development.

A 275 bedroom hotel would be bigger still, and would never have been approved if it had been Lesoco's first planning application.

This gradual, floor by floor, inflation of planning proposals makes a mockery of the planning process.
Monday 15 May 2017 10.20pm
A great shame - I remember the grass area at the back of the then Southwark College in the 1970s/80s being known locally as 'The Green'. It was a small playing field with a cricket net & a long jump pit - I guess designed for the College to use. We used to climb into it from time to time if the gates were locked to play football or when the gates were open ride our bikes. It literally was the only grass around - the Ufford St / Mitre Road 'rec' was all tarmac at the time.

Enough of all my yesterdays ...my feeling is that another Hotel is not needed in the area.

Surely it could have been maintained as a place for students to sit in & maybe opened up to local residents as a quiet area as a 'community asset' ? I wonder if there is anything in the original set up of the College that meant that the 'open space' should have been kept as such or at least if buildings were erected on it they were kept for 'educational use'.

If the Hotel does get built would be good to know that there are job opportunities for local residents if they want them and perhaps some kind of genuine apprenticeship scheme is developed in tandem with the College to give young people training in hospitality.
Monday 15 May 2017 10.46pm
Agree with everything here. It may be needed, I doubt it, but Ufford Street is a quite unsuitable location
Thursday 24 August 2017 12.44pm
Consultation events have been announced:

- Tuesday 5 September
- Saturday 9 September

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 19 September 2017 3.08pm
This scheme is on the agenda of Wednesday night's WCDG meeting

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/19056/waterloo-community-development-group-general-meeting

Thursday 16 November 2017 9.38am
Planning application now online:

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9575434

Thursday 16 November 2017 2.14pm
suziq wrote:
The seemingly never-ending construction of new hotels is something which has been bothering me over the past two or three years. Now that this thread has come up, I thought I'd make good use of my lunch hour by attempting to estimate the number of hotels within a 10 minute and 20 minute walk of my home, just off Blackfriars Road. I won't bore anyone with the actual list, but these are the numbers I came up with:-
Within a 10 minute walk - 20 hotels, plus two currently under construction, one to be added to and another four being considered / proposed (in the Cut and Ufford Street)
Within a 20 minute walk - 14 hotels

In other words, we already have 34 hotels within a 20 minute walk of my flat (going north, south, east and west). If you add in the ones under construction and in the planning stage, that's in excess of 40 hotels that I can walk to in a maximum time of 20 minutes. Bear in mind that I'm unlikely to have compiled a definitive list, so the numbers are probably even higher.

I have to say, this came as something of a shock considering we're being told that there are insufficient hotel beds in SE1. Who says so and how do they arrive at this conclusion I wonder?

I donít really have a dog in this hunt, residing as I do in an Ivory Tower, well a town house then, in Rotherhithe, but I would imagine that the prospective hotel owners, or group, have done some market research, and arrived at the conclusion that they can make some money by erecting, and opening a hotel in Ufford Street.
I can appreciate the good burgers of Waterloo donít fancy the idea, but it will probably come down to money talks, and bull**** walks in the final analysis.
Friday 17 November 2017 12.14pm
Dear Short St, The Cut, Burrows Mews, Ufford Street and Blackfriars Road Residents,
17/AP/4042 Construction of a 274 room hotel on the former LESOCO campus, Ufford Street
The planning application for the new proposed hotel on the former LESOCO campus at the rear of the site on Ufford Street has been given a planning application number and is now on line for comments. The description of the application on the website is as follows

17/AP/4042 | Construction of a 274 room hotel in a building of up to seven storeys in height incorporating a restaurant at ground floor level (Class C1/A3), together with one further storey of hotel accommodation at basement level, and rooftop plant. The development will include the creation of a new public realm, including a pedestrian route from The Cut to Ufford Street, with hard and soft landscaping and other associated works. | FORMER LESOCO CAMPUS, UFFORD STREET, LONDON, SE1 8LE

If you would like to comment on the application the consultation is open until Saturday 9th December.

To comment on the new application click on the link below

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9575434

Just a reminder that the site already has a consented scheme for a residential development, which is the application below, so even if this scheme was not consented they could still build the scheme below, which is residential
Friday 17 November 2017 12.42pm
Whether or not there are insufficient hotel beds in the Waterloo area, the term "much-needed" seems to be used by developers to justify anything they want to build including unaffordable flats and houses and hotels. The term "much needed" has become totally debased; if it continues to be used it should be more clearly defined. Developers presumably "need" to make substantial profits. But surely social housing is "much needed"? These days, developers can win the argument and obtain planning provision in SE1 and immediately surrounding areas but the net result is that the views and voices of long-term (and newer) residents are not always taken into account.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions