London SE1 community website

38 storey, ugly square block for ITV

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 25 May 2017 9.30pm
The London Television Centre also includes this attractive building on the eastern edge, right beside Gabriel's Warf: it would be a shame if this too where to be demolished.

Friday 26 May 2017 5.32pm
This thread hilariously exemplifies pretty much every property development thread on this site:

"I can't believe they're developing a horrible faceless building - won't SOMEONE think of the heritage?!?"

"That's an existing building."

"Oh yes. I LOVE that building. How can they think of redeveloping?? Won't SOMEONE think of the heritage?!? Plus, there's another part of the area that I like, so obviously they're going to destroy that too!"

"That's not part of the plan."

"But what if it was?!? Won't SOMEONE think of the heritage?!?"
Friday 26 May 2017 6.54pm
sjac wrote:
This thread hilariously exemplifies pretty much every property development thread on this site:
"I can't believe they're developing a horrible faceless building - won't SOMEONE think of the heritage?!?"

"Oh yes. I LOVE that building. How can they think of redeveloping?? Won't SOMEONE think of the heritage?!? Plus, there's another part of the area that I like, so obviously they're going to destroy that too!"

Yea who needs heritage? It's only London after all.

A brighter person than me will be able to work out what that post exemplifies, but for my part it displays your disdain for, well, heritage.
Friday 26 May 2017 8.13pm
Seeing as we're making up quotes, I'll never forget the time EW posted....

"There is absolutely no doubt that boroughonian is the finest contributor to this site, with his wit charm and towering intellect"

Or it may have been Floodplain, not too sure.
Friday 26 May 2017 8.51pm
sjac wrote:

I'm a Roman, and also a Londoner by adoption.

I'm glad that "someone" thought of the heritage instead of sending in the wrecking ball...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTw-kvXS9Sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhBQ2j9RIO4
Saturday 27 May 2017 3.10am
Missing my point a bit here, team. Not trying to say that beautiful old architecture shouldn't be saved (I think that the Gabriel's Wharf building that was pictured is lovely, for what it's worth), just pointing out that every new development seems to be derided and every existing building lauded (no matter the merits of old or new), and in this thread it seemed that this building went from hate to love simply because James pointed out that it already exists. London has evolved for 2000 years, with dozens of different structures likely to have stood on that site depending on the needs of the population at that time. Let's be conscientious about what we remove but realistic about change. (And maybe wait until we see what's planned before we panic...)
Thursday 1 June 2017 2.45pm
Public exhibition of plans next week:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/18855/public-exhibition-of-itv-south-bank-development-plans

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 1 June 2017 3.54pm
boroughonian wrote:
"There is absolutely no doubt that boroughonian is the finest contributor to this site, with his wit charm and towering intellect"

You're right, that was me.
Thursday 1 June 2017 4.11pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

You're right, that was me.

:)
Friday 2 June 2017 11.34am
sjac wrote:
Missing my point a bit here, team. Not trying to say that beautiful old architecture shouldn't be saved (I think that the Gabriel's Wharf building that was pictured is lovely, for what it's worth), just pointing out that every new development seems to be derided and every existing building lauded (no matter the merits of old or new), and in this thread it seemed that this building went from hate to love simply because James pointed out that it already exists. London has evolved for 2000 years, with dozens of different structures likely to have stood on that site depending on the needs of the population at that time. Let's be conscientious about what we remove but realistic about change. (And maybe wait until we see what's planned before we panic...)

I don't think that's true though and some of the derision has been justified. If they had of got away with the tower on the corner of Pocock st and Blackfriars rd, it would have looked ridiculous. What is there now is, actually, my favourite block of all. I think they're lovely and would love to live there.

I will admit though, some of the buildings I have derided, I have grown to like.

Personally, I am more worried about the heritage of people rather than that of bricks and mortar.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions