London SE1 community website

London Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 4 June 2017 11.12am
Tom Pepper wrote:
It's amazing how near you can be to this stuff when it's going down, and have no idea it's happening.
My wife and I were at a BBQ at Herne Hill, and left at 21.30.
We were not far from North Dulwich station, and my plan was to walk there, take a train to Peckham Rye, then switch to the Overground to Rotherhithe.
My wife demurred at the walk, citing sore feet, personally I think that it was a surfeit of Prosecco, so we waited 5 minutes for a 42 bus.
Alighting by Sainsbury's on Tower Bridge south side, we crossed to The Bridge House for one drink before going around the corner to Tooley Street for a 47, 188, or 381 to Rotherhithe Tunnel.
While in the bar, we received a WhatsApp text from a great-nephew, complaining that the stabbing at London Bridge that he'd heard of on Twitter, was too close to home.
We dismissed it as a usual Saturday night row that had got out of hand, drank up, and got a 188 home, hearing and seeing nothing when looking back down Tooley toward London Bridge.
When we turned on the TV at home, it became apparent what had happened, and we were quite surprised that we'd heard nothing.

I see that UBER cashed in Tom, as usual. Massive surcharges last night I'm told.
Sunday 4 June 2017 12.33pm
Shocked at what has happened, and busy finding out if friends and relatives are OK.
Not surprised to hear about Uber cashing in. The solution is to stop using them and get a black cab/bus/tube or walk instead.
Sunday 4 June 2017 1.39pm
Some pubs stayed open into the night as people just couldn't get home. Our attempted walk from Pizza Express by the Globe to Snowsfields took us to the Glad. Weird being out hearing on the news that the killers were still on the streets (though it turns out this wasn't the case).
The police were very good though.
Sunday 4 June 2017 5.37pm
If you're going out this evening, this is the latest update from TfL:

To: Ongoing
Last updated 17:21 Sunday 04 June 2017 : Due to this incident the following road closures are in place. King William Street is closed both directions between Canon Street and Bank. Gracechurch Street is closed to traffic between London Bridge and Fenchurch Street. Cannon Street is closed between Queen Victoria Street and East Cheap. Borough High Street has been closed northbound at the junction with Great Dover Street. Southwark Street is closed eastbound at Great Guildford Street. Puddledock southbound.Lower Thames Street has been closed in both directions between Great Tower Street and Southwark Bridge. Blackfriars Underpass is closed eastbound and traffic diverted to New Bridge Street. Diverting traffic on Tower Bridge Road is slow southbound between Tooley Street and Tower Hill. Intermittent delays on the eastbound Victoria Embankment slip onto New Bridge Street and on Queen Victoria Street eastbound. Drivers are requested to avoid the area where possible.

(Looks as if Southwark Bridge has reopened.)

Much of this area is accessible on foot, but the central core is still cordoned off.

London Bridge station (mainline and tube) and Borough station are closed. SE trains are running through to Waterloo and Charing Cross; Southern trains are cut back to S Bermondsey or New Cross Gate.

I think buses are being diverted around rather than stopping short.
Sunday 4 June 2017 6.29pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Shocked at what has happened, and busy finding out if friends and relatives are OK.
Not surprised to hear about Uber cashing in. The solution is to stop using them and get a black cab/bus/tube or walk instead.

Not really surprised about Uber 'surge' pricing, Uber just see it as a no-brainer business tactic, (a whole bunch of people want to get away from the area, ergo, they'll stand for any price hike).
Naturally, as an ex real taxi driver, I carry no flag for Uber, but it's dollars to doughnuts that the surge hikes are implemented by the top of the chain, not the individual drivers.
Of course Jazzy, I applaud your advice on seeking black cabs instead, but John Q. Public has a short memory, it's much easier to sit at home, or in a bar, and wait for an Uber slave to ring the bell, than it is to stand at the the kerb looking for a yellow TAXI sign, particularly in inclement weather.
Thinking back to other atrocities, I remember the '92 Baltic Exchange bomb, and the '93 Bishopsgate truck bomb, where I and a few others of London's finest gave free rides out of the immediate area, to shocked, but unhurt men and women, just because they were mostly fellow Londoners, and it seemed the right thing to do.
Sunday 4 June 2017 8.35pm
Tom Pepper, that is because you are a decent human being.
I would not step into an Uber cab, ever.
Monday 5 June 2017 2.44pm
Uber reversed the surge at 10:50 and will arrange refunds for anyone affected.
Monday 5 June 2017 3.22pm
Heard a few stories of black cabs taking people home and charging less than on the clock, one bloke said the driver didn't want to take anything at all but wound up accepting half the clock price.
Monday 5 June 2017 9.36pm
I've removed a number of posts from this thread, for reasons which will be obvious to anyone with half a braincell who saw what happened.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions