London SE1 community website

Shouting - Bermondsey Street on Saturday Night??

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 6 June 2017 8.40pm
I guess them toerags will have woken up sober the next day, possibly regretting their actions or at least a realisation that they wouldn't have done that sober. People are angry.

The scumbags shouting Allahu Akbar in St George's Circus will, in all likelihood, have been sober when they did that, frightening.
Tuesday 6 June 2017 9.26pm
boroughonian wrote:
I guess them toerags will have woken up sober the next day, possibly regretting their actions or at least a realisation that they wouldn't have done that sober. People are angry.
The scumbags shouting Allahu Akbar in St George's Circus will, in all likelihood, have been sober when they did that, frightening.
Indeed.
All kinds of bigotry and intolerance are frightening. And sometimes they are so close to home...

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 June 2017 9.29pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Indeed.
All kinds of bigotry and intolerance are frightening. And sometimes they are so close to home...

I think, under the circumstances, one far FAR outweighs the other. Especially given that, as stated, two situations were drunks and would've woken sober, the other were sober and would've woken proud.

I have neglected to say this, purposely, but there was also loud aggressive shouting on Sunday night too. This was a bit farther away, around the St George's Cathedral area, so I couldn't make out what was being shouted but it was the same kind of aggressive noise.
Tuesday 6 June 2017 9.32pm
boroughonian wrote:

"Allahu Akbar", although in recent time associated with terrorists, it not per se an aggressive expression in my understanding. I guess it's been hi-jacked by terrorists like racists have tried to hi-jack the St. George's Cross. Drunk racists will wake up the next day sober, but will still be racists, only with less Dutch courage of their convictions.
Tuesday 6 June 2017 9.34pm
"In times of joy and gratitude
When Reshma Begum was discovered alive 17 days after the 2013 Savar building collapse in Bangladesh which killed 1129 people, crowds jubilantly cried Allahu Akbar to express their joy and gratitude that she had survived. As a multi-purpose phrase, it is sometimes used by Arab football commentators as an expression of amazement."
Tuesday 6 June 2017 9.35pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

"Allahu Akbar", although in recent time associated with terrorists, it not per se an aggressive expression in my understanding. I guess it's been hi-jacked by terrorists like racists have tried to hi-jack the St. George's Cross. Drunk racists will wake up the next day sober, but will still be racists, only with less Dutch courage of their convictions.

Shouting that just after an attack is a little insensitive don't you think? I would go so far as to say, supportive of the attacks.
Tuesday 6 June 2017 9.38pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
"In times of joy and gratitude
When Reshma Begum was discovered alive 17 days after the 2013 Savar building collapse in Bangladesh which killed 1129 people, crowds jubilantly cried Allahu Akbar to express their joy and gratitude that she had survived. As a multi-purpose phrase, it is sometimes used by Arab football commentators as an expression of amazement."

I take your added point, I think it's na´ve in the extreme (pardon the pun) though.
Tuesday 6 June 2017 9.52pm
boroughonian wrote:
Shouting that just after an attack is a little insensitive don't you think? I would go so far as to say, supportive of the attacks.

Verbally, racially attacking a group of Muslims who've just come back from a vigil for the victims is insensitive, I would go as far as to say exploiting the attack for an hate agenda against Muslims. To be fair though, I was in East London when the attack happened, my wife called me and of course I went straight home. Coming off Millennium Bridge a group of about 5 or 6 dark-skinned young men, who seemed to be walking in the direction of London Bridge, were quite boisterous and I briefly couldn't help feeling they were trying to intimidate me. I had my family on my mind so didn't spend much time dwelling on it. Any side trying to exploit this attack for whatever pitiful cause they have is equally vile in my opinion, the racists hurling racist abuse at innocent Muslim are no better than people deliberately shouting Allahu Akbar. You can't qualify hate.
Tuesday 6 June 2017 11.15pm
boroughonian wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Indeed.

I think, under the circumstances, one far FAR outweighs the other. Especially given that, as stated, two situations were drunks and would've woken sober, the other were sober and would've woken proud.

I have neglected to say this, purposely, but there was also loud aggressive shouting on Sunday night too. This was a bit farther away, around the St George's Cathedral area, so I couldn't make out what was being shouted but it was the same kind of aggressive noise.
You're kind of missing my point.
I'm not surprised.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 June 2017 11.45pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Verbally, racially attacking a group of Muslims who've just come back from a vigil for the victims is insensitive, I would go as far as to say exploiting the attack for an hate agenda against Muslims. To be fair though, I was in East London when the attack happened, my wife called me and of course I went straight home. Coming off Millennium Bridge a group of about 5 or 6 dark-skinned young men, who seemed to be walking in the direction of London Bridge, were quite boisterous and I briefly couldn't help feeling they were trying to intimidate me. I had my family on my mind so didn't spend much time dwelling on it. Any side trying to exploit this attack for whatever pitiful cause they have is equally vile in my opinion, the racists hurling racist abuse at innocent Muslim are no better than people deliberately shouting Allahu Akbar. You can't qualify hate.

Fair enough, you make valid points, but, and I hate to say it, no one died, as horrible as it must have been for those people. For the record, I deplore attacks like the one you mention, I don't know whether there was men present, but it's usually men attacking Muslim women, complete cowards. I am not without Muslim friends, I know the score.

I certainly hope you were not insinuating that I would try and make gain out of such an event, because I wouldn't. What I heard genuinely frightened me, on top of what happened.

I wont reply to Ivanhoe's dig, because I thought I detected something in his/her first post and I'm not going there.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions