London SE1 community website

Barriers on bridges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Zoe
Tuesday 13 June 2017 7.26pm
Guy's street wrote:
I cycled South-bound over Blackfriars last week using the cycle lane. Yes, the barrier at the north side did slow me down a little and police were directing us around it however I don't see this as a bad thing necessarily.
There's no harm in forcing any road user to take a speed check from time to time is there?

As for putting the barriers o the other side of the cycle lane, well then what happens when a nutter in a van decides to mow down a load of cyclists? I'd rather be protected from that kind of thing when on my bike if possible.

I am confused, surely having the barriers on the outside of the bike lane, as it being requested, would protect cyclists and stop parking. Am I misunderstanding you?
Tuesday 13 June 2017 8.15pm
Guy's street wrote:
As for putting the barriers o the other side of the cycle lane, well then what happens when a nutter in a van decides to mow down a load of cyclists? I'd rather be protected from that kind of thing when on my bike if possible.

I think barriers like that are slightly pointless. You can't put a barrier everywhere that pedestrians walk, on the chance that some muslim extremist is going to use a van to kill people. Otherwise there'd just be barriers everywhere, all the time. The bridges are protected now? Sure. What's to stop someone accelerating into the crossing at Oxford Circus when the green man is showing? Better put some barriers there. Hyde Park corner too, that's quite busy. Then so is Westminster Square crossing. We'd better put walls up everywhere to protect us. Maybe even just keep everyone in underground tunnels. But how do we protect the tunnels? Well, maybe we could put security barriers in there too. And so on...

You can't put barriers everywhere.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 8.41pm
Tom Edwards' report:

https://vimeo.com/221456730

Those guards are TFL. So the police make a decision without consulting anyone and TFL foot the bill for their mistake and Londoners are put in more danger than before.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 9.14pm
Come on, let's be real. First an attack on Westminster Bridge and then an attack with the same MO on London Bridge a matter of weeks later. One previous contributor questions the wisdom of placing them there at all. Is it really illogical and unreasonable for barriers to be placed on bridges where pedestrians are at risk in the event of a terrorist attack and when the last two terror attacks in London have involved bridges? Let's get behind our police and security services and trust them to keep us safe.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 9.17pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Come on, let's be real. First an attack on Westminster Bridge and then an attack with the same MO on London Bridge a matter of weeks later. One previous contributor questions the wisdom of placing them there at all. Is it really illogical and unreasonable for barriers to be placed on bridges where pedestrians are at risk in the event of a terrorist attack and when the last two terror attacks in London have involved bridges? Let's get behind our police and security services and trust them to keep us safe.

I'm not sure who you are arguing with. Who proposed removing all barriers?
Tuesday 13 June 2017 9.46pm
As I read it, kevinruairi.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 9.58pm
That would be kevin who points out the barriers protect the people on the bridge?
Zoe
Tuesday 13 June 2017 10.09pm
Kevin is just saying you can't protect all targets, and that's true.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 10.19pm
As I read it, Kevin was suggesting that "you can't put a barrier everywhere that pedestrians walk, on the chance that some muslim extremist is going to use a van to kill people" in response to Guy's Street's suggestion vis--vis placing a barrier on the outside[?] of the cycle lane. My comments were made in response to that. I agree that you can't protect all targets - that much is true - but it is sensible to protect those targets where there is a clear threat on the basis of previous attacks.
Tuesday 13 June 2017 10.26pm
If you absolutely positively wanted to hurt people using a vehicle as a weapon pretty much any road in the capital will do. Horrible thought.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions