London SE1 community website

Barriers on bridges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Zoe
Friday 16 June 2017 7.54am
The difference between cyclists, pedestrians and cars is that we want people to walk and cycle, we don't want them to use cars. The current set up meand that cyclists and pedestrians are the only ones being affected while car drivers, when it was a vehicle that was used, have no impact upon them. Of course pedestrians and cyclists are more vulnerable, but this feels like the victims are the ones suffering.

People keep telling me that cyclists just have to wait, but those lights take a long time to turn around and people will simply stop using bikes if it is less convenient, most people would moan if their journey time increased by a third due to some rather poor thought out barriers.

On the barriers on the bridges, I was referring to London Bridge, Lambeth etc, rather than the bridges with bike lanes. The barriers have been placed in the bike lanes, making them unusable and that seems both wrong and surely an unintended consequence.

I am positive there is a way of doing barriers without causing such problems, with a bit of thought, I am just concerned that they will leave them as they are.
Saturday 17 June 2017 6.12pm
The London Cycling Campaign has made some specific suggestions as to how the barriers on each bridge could be tweaked to make things work better for everyone:

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/whats-going-on-with-the-barriers-on-londons-bridges

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Saturday 17 June 2017 7.41pm
I thought they were very good suggestions and will assist cyclists and pedestrians.
Monday 19 June 2017 10.45am
spindrift wrote:
The 31 people killed on the pavement last year were all killed by drivers. You are forty times more likely to be injured by a driver than a cyclist on the pavement. Drivers routinely hurt and kill people on pavements, so it seems strange to restrict the safest road user.

The safest "road" user is the pedestrian and they are also the most vulnerable, especially children and elderly people. I don't think all cyclists are evil, a large majority aren't, but there is a trend among cyclists to deny any responsibility and (self-)proclaiming them as "the safest road user" in a sweeping generalisation is dangerously sanctimonious. After the LB attack road closures, cyclists were cycling up a Newcomen Street (i.e. in the wrong direction) even more packed with pedestrians than usual. Selfish and inconsiderate is all I say, but you don't dare say it loud as some of the adrenalin or testosterone or whatever it is also makes a number of them very aggressive. Again, the pedestrian suffers.
Zoe
Monday 19 June 2017 7.54pm
You are clearly misrepresenting the term road user as Spindrift used it.

I am sick of how all of these discussions turn into an anti cyclist rant. Do you think you might an issue.
Monday 19 June 2017 8.07pm
I specifically asked several pages ago for people to stay on topic as regards the specific bridge barrier issues.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 19 June 2017 8.13pm
Zoe wrote:
You are clearly misrepresenting the term road user as Spindrift used it.
I am sick of how all of these discussions turn into an anti cyclist rant. Do you think you might an issue.

Zoe I am aware that you don't like it when I criticise cyclists, but I make a point of emphasising that I don't have a problem with the majority of cyclists. If that isn't clear, I'd like to emphasise it again. What frustrates me though is that even the slightest form of criticism against some cyclists is taken as an attack on cyclists in general, and I find that a bit unreasonable as sometimes as it comes across as an excuse by some cyclists not to have to take any responsibility at all. It's a small number of bad cyclists hiding behind a large number of good cyclists and getting away with their bullying, selfish and dangerous behaviour. That is my opinion and I stand by it. I don't even bother confronting cyclists anymore. They they have won. They command the streets and pavements now, and I have to take responsibility for their behaviour.
Zoe
Monday 19 June 2017 8.19pm
What frustrates me is that any cyclist issue turns into an anti cyclist rant (despite James repeatedly asking us not to). Perhaps you would like to rant about the seven percent of deaths in Southwark caused by pollution, much of which is caused by cars. It's a much bigger issue but I hear very little about it.
Monday 19 June 2017 9.24pm
Zoe wrote:
What frustrates me is that any cyclist issue turns into an anti cyclist rant

No, it doesn't.

Anyway - re the barriers: everyone is protected/inconvenienced by it, depending what way you look at it. It's the world we currently live in, unfortunately, and we all have to make do.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions