London SE1 community website

The Fire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Friday 16 June 2017 11.12am
Rambling Phil wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Why dosent England have sprinklers routinely fitted as Wales and Scotland?

Because Tory MP'so be so - eg http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-vote-down-law-requiring-landlords-make-their-homes-fit-for-human-habitation-a6809691.html. Non-Tory devolved governments introduced the sprinkler rules in Scotland and Wales.

Remember that when ministers and lobbyists talk about reducing red tape, particularly in the context of being able to do so post-Brexit, the rules and standards that protect our health and safety, at work and at home, are what they mean.

Labour governments under Blair and Brown didn't think it's important enough for people to have safe and decent housing to make it law either. Nor has the Labour administration in Southwark sought to to require sprinklers, and I can see from a retweet on this website that aluminium cladding panels are being used by Lendlease at Elephant Park .
Friday 16 June 2017 11.25am
He Gods JazzyQ...August forth report 2013..power surges and exploding electrical devices!!!
Friday 16 June 2017 2.20pm
You don't have to be a genius to work out that power surges plus exploding electrical devices and flammable cladding all around the building would result in what we saw this week.
Even worse is that this was all known about and dreaded, and nothing was done.

Horrified to hear that this cladding is being used by Lend Lease at Elephant Park, though since all the owners are abroad there will only be loss of property if it catches fire.
Friday 16 June 2017 4.58pm
lullylush wrote:
Re the cladding: made me wonder about Guys tower.

Good point. I had a quick look and the Tower cladding, it does look aluminium. I am not an architect nor would like to speculate yet on the exact cause of the tragic fire.

i notice there was a recent trend in new developments to clad brick or concrete buildings in wood also. Surely this also may compromise fire safety?
Friday 16 June 2017 7.04pm
In Nottingham there is high rise property that was clad in a polystyrene type cladding that looks like very attractive brick! The council are removing it a sap.
Saturday 17 June 2017 3.36pm
There seem to be a lot of empty homes in London.
Have a look at this.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/11/map-reveals-shocking-number-of-empty-homes-across-london-6630121/
Saturday 17 June 2017 4.37pm
Guinness Court on Snowsfields has been known to have empty flats for years.
Sunday 18 June 2017 8.56am
Health and Safety Monster where are you when we need you?
A relative of mine is told she cannot wear sandals to work in the hot weather "in case she stubs her toes, or trips and falls" and yet our elected representatives can vote to ignore the health and safety of the people they are supposed to serve.
Have a read of this

https://www.indy100.com/article/fire-minister-grenfell-tower-nick-hurd-conservatives-vote-fit-for-human-habitation-7794666?utm_source=indy&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=i100
Sunday 18 June 2017 10.16am
I wonder whether the sandals thing is less to do with Health & Safety Red Tape and more to do with the many ambulance-chasing law firms asking people whether they’ve had an accident at work.
Monday 19 June 2017 10.43am
It has to do with priorities, and we seem to have a disregard for some human beings and their lives. How many more "one minute silences" are we going to have before anything changes?
At the root of all evil seems to lie the love of money.
Have a look at this.
Profit before people
Need not greed
Another minute's silence, another march, more horror footage and photographs and on and on it goes.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/neweconomics/fire-worlds-laundromat/
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions