London SE1 community website

Coffee shops in Elephant/Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 22 June 2017 10.47am
CoffeeCait wrote:
Cupcakes and Shhht is the best coffee shop in Elephant and Castle. My absolute favourite! Super busy on weekends. Has a lovely homey feel, great staff. You can watch them baking, they have a vegan burger, everything is gluten free! You can sit all day, they have internet too. Love it!

CoffeeCait - you would appear to be the co-founder of said business. Welcome to the Astroturfing Hall of Shame.

Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 it is an offence to pose as a customer of your own business. The regulations prohibit:
Quote:
Falsely claiming or creating the impression that the
trader is not acting for purposes relating to his trade,
business, craft or profession, or falsely representing
oneself as a consumer.

It is also highly offensive to take advantage of people's goodwill to post fake endorsements in this way.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 22 June 2017 11.12am
Haha - perfect.

Funnily enough that 'review' made me certain I would never go near the place, if the name wasn't lame enough to put me off already.

What's a cupcake anyway? Is it like a fairy cake but for Americans?
Thursday 22 June 2017 11.23am
MarcoC wrote:
Thanks Pete, I'll check that one out...

You're welcome, glad to hear you found it. I'm going to try hanging around in coffee shops instead of pubs, and see if it makes me feel better or worse in the mornings.
Thursday 22 June 2017 11.41am
A friend was reminiscing recently about the good old days, when you could walk the whole length of Bermondsey Street and not find anywhere you could buy a cup of real coffee. Now, as they say, 'Wake up and smell the coffee'.

Personally all I want in a coffee shop is a double espresso - no froth, no whipped cream, no cinnamon flavouring, no coconut sprinkles - and NO INTERNET. Why should I pay for my coffee and then find nowhere to sit down because every table is occupied by someone working on their laptop? (Starbucks take note.) Have they got no office to go to? Are they too mean to pay for their own broadband?

Please point me to some local 'no internet' coffee shops.
Thursday 22 June 2017 2.10pm
Sorry, it appears I hadn't read the rules before replying. I got so excited when I saw someone had posted about us. I didn't know that I could post as a business, so posted as a customer. Honest mistake! Didn't mean to cause any upset at all, just wanted to spread the word. Everything I wrote is honest. We love the SE1 community and hope to invite you all to visit. Come and say hi, we're all very lovely!
Thursday 22 June 2017 4.40pm
John C wrote:
A friend was reminiscing recently about the good old days, when you could walk the whole length of Bermondsey Street and not find anywhere you could buy a cup of real coffee. Now, as they say, 'Wake up and smell the coffee'.
Personally all I want in a coffee shop is a double espresso - no froth, no whipped cream, no cinnamon flavouring, no coconut sprinkles - and NO INTERNET. Why should I pay for my coffee and then find nowhere to sit down because every table is occupied by someone working on their laptop? (Starbucks take note.) Have they got no office to go to? Are they too mean to pay for their own broadband?

Please point me to some local 'no internet' coffee shops.

I don't mind people quietly working on their laptops, but I hate with a passion people having business meetings and job interviews at Coffee shops. Grumpy old men of the world, unite and take over!
Thursday 22 June 2017 5.49pm
Back home (I'm a Roman), most people take their coffee standing: hit and go. Here most coffee shops don't even have a counter to stand to and drink, the counter is for serving, not for consuming.

Also most cafés (simply called BAR over there) open very early (at least 06:00) so people can have their coffee on the way to work.

Here they open much later (some even at 10:00!) and the espresso machine often isn't up to the temperature and pressure required to make coffee at opening time.

Friday 23 June 2017 1.13pm
Another similar type coffee place in Stamford street by 388. RV1 bus stop. Handy..opening very soon by looks near Waitrose n Kalmak chemist also. This area is really taking off with new shopping development opening soon I believe

Cotswolds 12
Friday 23 June 2017 7.35pm
It might take the pressure off queuing for Waitrose's free coffees, although we do have a choice of sitting six abreast by the window, staring out at the traffic and getting an occasional wave, or sitting al fresco on the pavement with the odd whiff of diesel fumes wafting into our lungs. I do love eccentric small cafés, I'll be at the new one, the person with Waitrose bags actually savouring my drink.
Monday 26 June 2017 9.37am
Wandered down to the new one at St George's Circus on Saturday morning and was irked to find them not open at weekends. These trendies haven't got much of a work ethic.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions