The original project was delayed due to local opposition to the original plans, the fact that they didn't seem properly to take account of the needs of the local community or that part of the site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
This led to a change of architects, an amended scheme and some proper consultation, as well as a massive delay, as reported on this very site.
Quiet? I think it's sulking. A potted status report:
* planning permission is approved
* size15,000 sq metres, of which about one third is residential, one quarter office, rest is hotel, bar, restaurants and other retail (probably grocer)
* style modern glass, steel, zinc, wood
* project cost £36 million
* developer Urban Catalyst
* architect Munkenbeck & Marshall
* builder don't know
* open air theatre/cinema, art/exhibition space under hotel
* antiques market preserved
* artwork to commemorate history
* final archaelogical dig (pre-building piling) late this Summer
* building work proper expected to start this Autumn
* completion 2006
There used to be a box file with all the plans used in Urban Catalyst's planning application in the Local Studies Library at 211 Borough High Street - entrance is down the little lane to the south side of the John Harvard Library.