London SE1 community website

St Mungos - anti social behaviour

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Thursday 2 November 2017 10.18am
curlykaren wrote:
For a homeless person with a dog the relationship between them is likely one of the few meaningful emotional relationships in their life/current circumstance. It would be terrible to exclude, the majority of decent dog owners, from this service, due to the reprehensible actions of a few.

I don't disagree with your sentiment about the relationship between the homeless and their pet, and it appears some owners put the needs of the dog ahead of their own, but having a dog can limit the options to get secure housing and move off the street. Despite the services of a few charities which aim to provide free basic care services for street dogs, the animals generally get a rough deal. They are sometimes being used as a prop for sympathy, often required to sit with their begging owners on busy, cold pavements, lacking suitable exercise, thereby being more vulnerable to health problems - much like their owners.
Thursday 2 November 2017 10.52am
The dog of a homeless person lives the life of the homeless person, if we think that's cruel and unfair on the dog, well....

Do St Mungo's allow alcohol on the premises? Or would the ban be an under the influence rule?

As I said, no body should have to put up with harassment, but I can't help but feel a little uncomfortable at the extent of the demands. Unfortunately, drug and alcohol intake will not be a choice for very many of these addicted people, that's why they are there.

It's a difficult situation and I am not envious of the local residents.
Thursday 2 November 2017 11.49am
curlykaren wrote:
I wouldn't be able to agree with any move to ban dogs and dog owners. For a homeless person with a dog the relationship between them is likely one of the few meaningful emotional relationships in their life/current circumstance. It would be terrible to exclude, the majority of decent dog owners, from this service, due to the reprehensible actions of a few.

I agree.
Thursday 2 November 2017 12.02pm
The real issue of course, if we overlook previous governments attitude to care in the community, is a lack of Police.
Thursday 2 November 2017 12.04pm
boroughonian wrote:
The dog of a homeless person lives the life of the homeless person, if we think that's cruel and unfair on the dog, well.....

Those dogs often look well looked after though and seem quite content.
Thursday 2 November 2017 12.10pm
There is a female resident at St Mungos who has a very large brown dog. On two occasions I have witnessed her let the dog foul a heavily pedestrianised pavement. She simply walked away and left this huge mound of dog muck behind. Not a care in the world.
So yeah - I am totally in favour of a banning.
Thursday 2 November 2017 12.21pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
The dog of a homeless person lives the life of the homeless person, if we think that's cruel and unfair on the dog, well.....

They do. I certainly, from my comfortable family unit, wouldn't take away that companionship.

Some woman let her dog mess on the pavement and walked away, this could get like a cyclist thread.
Thursday 2 November 2017 4.25pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Appearances can be deceptive. Given that the homeless are understandably not generally able to arrange vaccinations, neutering, worming and anti-flea treatments etc., and often can only give their pets human food, which is usually unsuitable for the dogs digestion, quite a few street dogs are overweight and unfit.

Just some facts - not an opinion on fairness.
Thursday 2 November 2017 10.32pm
Sleeping rough in London can be dangerous (rough sleepers are often subject to assaults and abuse).

If my home was a doorway, I'd sleep better knowing that my dog would raise me from my slumber before someone attacks me.
Friday 3 November 2017 12.21pm
janefs wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Appearances can be deceptive. Given that the homeless are understandably not generally able to arrange vaccinations, neutering, worming and anti-flea treatments etc., and often can only give their pets human food, which is usually unsuitable for the dogs digestion, quite a few street dogs are overweight and unfit.

Just some facts - not an opinion on fairness.

I wonder if Crises at Christmas offer any vet services?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions