London SE1 community website

Ice cream van blocking Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Tuesday 7 August 2018 4.52pm
For some reason this makes me quite angry... Why does they get away with this?
Tuesday 7 August 2018 6.34pm
John Stanley wrote:
This does seem completely crazy. I confronted the ice cream seller on Wednesday morning, subsequently lodged a 'crime' with the Met Police, did the same on Friday as she was again parked on the bridge approach, blocking traffic lanes etc, she was there again on Sunday and Monday. I lodged another 'crime' with the police last night - and rang 101! They informed me that a parking offence was not a 'crime' and I should 'complain' to parking division of Tower Hamlets! I can only imagine what a waste of time that would be. On numerous occasions the blue Mercedes Ice Cream van is parked on Tower Bridge selling ice creams on a double red route and the authorities seem quite happy about it. Meanwhile they also seem more than happy to be heavy handed issuing parking tickets - recently to an ambulance - at the the drop of hat. Doesn't give you much faith in the system I'm afraid.

Perhaps it is worthwhile reporting this to the bridge owners, Bridge House Estates: I would imagine that if it were them who subsequently contacted the MPS, a proper response would be likely to follow.
Friday 31 August 2018 11.07am
I reported it to the police via their website and complained to my local councillor. I haven't seen it since- is it still there?
Saturday 1 September 2018 4.52am
Drove over tower bridge last week - still there
Saturday 1 September 2018 8.13pm
Better news. She was moved on by police on Friday afternoon, 31 August.
Tuesday 4 September 2018 8.57am
She was back there yesterday
Tuesday 4 September 2018 11.00am
A few weeks back, I watched from a bus while a police officer on a bike moved them on. They drove off and pulled on to the pavement round the corner of Tower Hill. The driver got out and went back round the corner to watch for the policeman to finish his notes and go away. I expect they just went back over London Bridge and parked back up on and carried on.

Whatever fines or warnings or whatever that they're getting, it's clearly not affecting their profits from selling on the bridge.
Thursday 6 September 2018 12.24pm
This has been really infuriating over the summer. I cycle over the bridge twice a day and the inevitably of the van a constant source of incredulity. I logged numerous complaints both to the Met and the City of London Police. I finally received one reply stating that they would "not be taking my complaint any further". The overriding frustration is that local councils are happy to employ armies of parking officials, my assumption being that this must be a net contributor to council funds. Similarly accidentally stray into a box junction or the congestion zone and there's no escape from the proclivity of cameras and the subsequent fine. Whereas in case of the ice cream van, it would seem Tower Bridge can't be under the jurisdiction or interest of any particular council? I can only surmise that the over stretched Police have better things to do - regardless of the fact that 5 minutes ago every bridge in London seemed to be a serious security risk. Local councils invest in parking officers while London underinvests in its Police force. All perfectly demonstrated by the woman selling ice creams over the summer parked on Tower Bridge.
Tuesday 18 September 2018 5.54pm
Good luck with getting the ice cream van moved. Itís been using the same spot for at least 10 years - possibly more!
Saturday 27 October 2018 11.12am
I don't want to tempt fate, but I haven't seen it there for weeks- has it gone?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions