London SE1 community website

Hatfields Roadworks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 18 September 2017 10.35pm
Perhaps we can close down this thread. I lived in Roupell Street for many years and can bring to mind many "elderly" people/couples who live there without really turning my brain on.
I ,too, am not sure how/why the digging was diverted, but in the end the dig would have had to go down Hatfields. If you have a problem with "millionaires", focus on the people in the new Shell development who have to be rolling in it or have huge mortgages. The Roupell "millionaires" include people who have been there since the 70s and have watched London prices go ape. They may not be terribly well off.
Tuesday 19 September 2017 1.33pm
I don't have a problem with millionaires, there are former council tenants that wont be far off (on paper). What annoys me is that we all know the World we live in, I don't like it but there you are, someone pointing that out, gets jumped on.

That annoys me.

We could carry out an experiment, we could arrange a few young herberts to fly up and down Roupell st on their scooters, see how quickly it gets dealt with.

For the record, I don't blame the residents of Roupell st for this......it's the World we live in.
Tuesday 19 September 2017 7.32pm
Having spoken to a representative of Power On Connections Ltd he informed me that the diversion away from the intended route from Meymot Street to Cornwall Road along Roupell Street was altered because of objections from residents of Roupell Street.
The bypass route then became Hatfields-The Cut- Greet Street and Wooton Street, quite a diversion and all without a word of consultation with the residents of Benson,Styles,Tait,Peabody,Windmill and Ospringe houses.
So,it would appear that it did not have to go along Hatfields.

Theedy, do you live within 'The Enclave' as you chose to call it?
Tuesday 19 September 2017 8.01pm
I didn't call it "the enclave" someone else did. I agree Roupell via Meymott looks a direct route but where are they trying to get from to? I just reacted to suggestions that Roupell Street people are all mega-rich
Some are but there are old people who have watched the world explode in front of them, technically they are millionaires, but talk to them. They are just like any 80 year old in what was a rented London property.
Zoe
Thursday 21 September 2017 8.13pm
It's rather frustrating that we have had temp lights on Hatfields, while Colombo Street and Meymott Street are both closed. It's made it rather difficult to park or drive onto Hatfields. There is always a lack of joined up thinking.
Thursday 21 September 2017 10.14pm
theedy wrote:
I agree Roupell via Meymott looks a direct route but where are they trying to get from to?
They are trying to connect the new flats at the Shell Centre with the high voltage cables near the substation that still exists at the old Bankside Power Station (ie Tate Modern)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 22 September 2017 9.57am
The Shell centre is dual fed, it uses the existing ring main from the old power station and is backed up by a feed from over the river, I wonder why the new apartments couldn't use the North side feed.
Friday 22 September 2017 4.27pm
I'd hoped the work was BT related to provide those of us who live on Short St with decent broadband. According to the Openreach website it's now the eighth month of the five month 'build' phase to install the necessary infrastructure.
Sunday 24 September 2017 1.30pm
Zoe wrote:
It's rather frustrating that we have had temp lights on Hatfields, while Colombo Street and Meymott Street are both closed. It's made it rather difficult to park or drive onto Hatfields. There is always a lack of joined up thinking.

Welcome to every day in the world of the London black cab driver Zoë!
All jokes aside I feel for you, sincerely, it's frustrating, n'est-ce pas?
You know I love you Zoë, bike and all, were I a younger, single man, I'd take you to Oblix at The Shard, ply you with Last Minute Sunburn cocktails, and watch you daintily pick at a lobster and scallop ceviche.
Mais hélas, je suis très vieux, et heureusement marié, dommage!
Happy cycling, Tom.
Zoe
Sunday 24 September 2017 7.53pm
Ha, ha, I couldn't eat a lobster and scallop ceviche daintily!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions