London SE1 community website

Religious Nonsense

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 16 October 2017 8.43am
batfastard wrote:
How much longer are we supposed to put up with the Religious fanatics at the Elephant & Castle, preaching in public with their loudspeakers? Saturday evening there were about 15 of them, harassing passersby, using loudspeakers and amplifiers spouting religious rubbish. As an athiest I'm going to play the "offended" card and say that it offends me. Churches are the place for such ravings, not the streets. I'm sure they is some sort of law that prevents such a public nuisance I wish someone would enforce it.
well I wish our streets could be safe again on a Friday or Saturday evening.... Give me street preachers as opposed to deranged drunken druggies any day... why don't police do something about them instead?
Monday 16 October 2017 11.10am
Ivanhoe wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Jesus left the synagogue and went on the streets and market places to save sinners...
and Luke Skywalker left Tatooine to fight Darth Vader

Would you ridicule a Muslim like that?
Call it ridiculing if you want to. I wouldn't.
The point I'm making is that just because someone believes in something, that doesn't make it true.
We're all free to believe in whatever we want, which is great.
However, when people present their beliefs as facts then I don't think it's unreasonable to draw attention to that and challenge it.
Some people do claim Jedi as their religion, which was why I specifically chose that example.

Nope, not buying it, I just do not believe you would ever liken the Prophet Mohammed to Luke Skywalker, although I do take your Jedi point.

Street preachers aside, I find that when people want to have a pop at religion, they ALWAYS chose Christianity.

Another thing the Bible successfully predicted....
Monday 16 October 2017 11.32am
boroughonian wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Jesus left the synagogue and went on the streets and market places to save sinners...
and Luke Skywalker left Tatooine to fight Darth Vader

Would you ridicule a Muslim like that?
Call it ridiculing if you want to. I wouldn't.
The point I'm making is that just because someone believes in something, that doesn't make it true.
We're all free to believe in whatever we want, which is great.
However, when people present their beliefs as facts then I don't think it's unreasonable to draw attention to that and challenge it.
Some people do claim Jedi as their religion, which was why I specifically chose that example.

Nope, not buying it, I just do not believe you would ever liken the Prophet Mohammed to Luke Skywalker, although I do take your Jedi point.

Street preachers aside, I find that when people want to have a pop at religion, they ALWAYS chose Christianity.....

You don't need to believe me. I know my motivations, which is enough for me.

Re "choosing Christianity", er, that would be because this whole thread is specifically about the Christians being loud at the Elephant, and because I was disagreeing with someone representing Bible beliefs as fact.

You seem to have a point to make about people specifically criticising Christian beliefs as opposed to any of the other beliefs out there. Even if your point were to be true, it's got nothing to do with what I'm saying, which is that ANYONE trying to claim that things are objectively and universally true just because they personally believe them is irrational.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 16 October 2017 11.37am
Paramount wrote:
.... Re Christian faith it is a great support in life as many will testify...

Indeed. Many faiths have this positive part to play. They can provide both a support and a moral code which can make the world a more harmonious place.

Of course, people can also find support and positive moral codes in non-religious beliefs. And people can use their interpretation of religion, or of other beliefs, to do unspeakably horrific things.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 16 October 2017 1.45pm
Regarding the noise nuisance.
Southwark's noise team tell me it's an issue for the police to tackle.
Monday 16 October 2017 4.03pm
graham wrote:
Regarding the noise nuisance.
Southwark's noise team tell me it's an issue for the police to tackle.
. Perhaps the noise team can deal with noisy traffic motor bikes and noisy drunks and drugs loud moiuthed yobs while they are at it as opposed to someone preaching the gospel or indeed Ivanhoe bringing comfort to some on their journey through life whatever their be!Lief....but Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan springs to mind. Recommendedto all.
Monday 16 October 2017 7.23pm
Paramount wrote:
well I wish our streets could be safe again on a Friday or Saturday evening.... Give me street preachers as opposed to deranged drunken druggies any day... why don't police do something about them instead?

Again? When exactly were the streets of SE1 safe on weekend evenings: during Roman rule?
Monday 16 October 2017 8.14pm
I slaughtered a few chickens to appease the Sun Gods this afternoon. You can thank me when things return to normal.
Monday 16 October 2017 8.54pm
Jules62 wrote:
Paramount wrote:
well I wish our streets could be safe again on a Friday or Saturday evening.... Give me street preachers as opposed to deranged drunken druggies any day... why don't police do something about them instead?

Again? When exactly were the streets of SE1 safe on weekend evenings: during Roman rule?
Monday 16 October 2017 9.00pm
Jules62 wrote:
Paramount wrote:
well I wish our streets could be safe again on a Friday or Saturday evening.... Give me street preachers as opposed to deranged drunken druggies any day... why don't police do something about them instead?

Again? When exactly were the streets of SE1 safe on weekend evenings: during Roman rule?
. When we had more law enforcement officers walking the streets known as Bobbies on the Beat recall????
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions