London SE1 community website

Proper Bakers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 23 October 2017 10.04am
Thanks - I looked up Chrorleywood bread, now I know why all our bread is like a pillow compared to the european stuff! I find the german breads much more filling
Monday 23 October 2017 12.37pm
Greensmiths on Lower Marsh has a small artisan bakery section.
Monday 23 October 2017 2.05pm
Gail's do a nice tin-loaf for 2.80
Monday 23 October 2017 2.15pm
boroughonian wrote:
Kennington road just opposite the Police station, a little Bakers, what a dark horse!
Worth a look if you're passing.

Just had a lovely Cornish Pasty for 1.49 and it had an array of pies from curried to bacon and egg, I'm impressed.

It's called the Fruitcake Patisserie. They certainly used to sell bread, I would reserve a loaf of granary (unsliced) twice a week, until i moved away from it a few years ago. It was the best bread I've had in London, although can't guarantee it's not chorleywood. Personally not a fan of dense bread.

They do french sticks and baps, and the pies and pasties are excellent. I also liked the fact it only sold instant coffee, which confused the tourists.

Saying all that, I've not frequented it for a few years so things may have changed.
Zoe
Monday 23 October 2017 8.47pm
Getting good bread easily is a bit of a pain around here. I don't always want to pay a small mortgage for bread, cheap, cheerful and tasty should be easier to find.
Tuesday 24 October 2017 12.25am
Zoe wrote:
Getting good bread easily is a bit of a pain around here. I don't always want to pay a small mortgage for bread, cheap, cheerful and tasty should be easier to find.

That was exactly my point, Zoe:

Jules62 wrote:
we were having a right moan about how hard it is to find simple, good quality, honestly priced bread here in the E&C.

Just because I would like to be able to buy good bread, doesn't mean I would want to do so at Borough Market, or at some 'artisan baker's' pretentious shop.
Friday 27 October 2017 10.07am
suziq wrote:
I'm English and I miss good bread too, of the sort we used to be able to buy from our local bakery when I was younger. They baked on the premises and had a huge variety to choose from. The simple answer is make your own, unless you're prepared to pay the nonsense amounts that the so called 'artisan' bakers charge. It takes no more than 10 minutes to make the dough, then you can leave it to prove for as long as you like basically, until you're ready for the next stage and the cooking. A doddle and so much nicer, healthier and cheaper than anything you can buy, even the dreadful sliced white! Baking tips available on request.......

Any particular recipe you can recommend?
Friday 27 October 2017 10.54am
I'll PM you later!
Friday 27 October 2017 12.20pm
Yesterday I bought a cinnamon bun from Fortnum & Mason, there was no price and when I got to the till I nearly dropped with the 4 price!!! It can't cost more than cost 10p to produce!
Friday 27 October 2017 1.27pm
connie wrote:
Yesterday I bought a cinnamon bun from Fortnum & Mason, there was no price and when I got to the till I nearly dropped with the 4 price!!! It can't cost more than cost 10p to produce!

Was it your first time in Fortnums? :)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions