London SE1 community website

Lambeth proposal 2 way cycle lanes Roupell St etc

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 31 October 2017 6.16pm
Paramount wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
If less people chose to travel by car or bus and more walked or cycled then there'd be less traffic holding up those that do need to travel by car or bus.
Anyway, great idea to encourage more cyclists down a quiet road away from danogerous vehicles.
could take one all day to walk around London though

According to the TfL 'plan a journey' website the quickest way for me to get from home to just about anywhere in central London is by bicycle. 10 minutes to Westminster, 16 minutes to Piccadilly Circus, 15 minutes to the British Museum. Though that doesn't include time taken getting ready - helmet, cycle clips, jacket - getting the bike out, checking the tyres etc!
Tuesday 31 October 2017 6.54pm
John C wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
If less people chose to travel by car or bus and more walked or cycled then there'd be less traffic holding up those that do need to travel by car or bus.
Anyway, great idea to encourage more cyclists down a quiet road away from danogerous vehicles.
could take one all day to walk around London though

According to the TfL 'plan a journey' website the quickest way for me to get from home to just about anywhere in central London is by bicycle. 10 minutes to Westminster, 16 minutes to Piccadilly Circus, 15 minutes to the British Museum. Though that doesn't include time taken getting ready - helmet, cycle clips, jacket - getting the bike out, checking the tyres etc!
Nearly got run over by female cyclist who drove against a NO ENTRY' sign exiting Roupell Street past the tennis courts on into Blackfriars Road. In the space of a few seconds I counted 10 cyclists all going the wrong way
. Perhaps they were Halloween mood trying to scare living daylights out of people... What sort of mind do these cretins possess? If at all..
.
Wednesday 1 November 2017 4.54am
There will be a problem in Roupell Street as it is rammed with pedestrians morning and evening with as noted friction with cyclists already when it is meant to be one way for most of its length
Wednesday 1 November 2017 10.48am
Paramount wrote:
John C wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
If less people chose to travel by car or bus and more walked or cycled then there'd be less traffic holding up those that do need to travel by car or bus.
Anyway, great idea to encourage more cyclists down a quiet road away from danogerous vehicles.
could take one all day to walk around London though

According to the TfL 'plan a journey' website the quickest way for me to get from home to just about anywhere in central London is by bicycle. 10 minutes to Westminster, 16 minutes to Piccadilly Circus, 15 minutes to the British Museum. Though that doesn't include time taken getting ready - helmet, cycle clips, jacket - getting the bike out, checking the tyres etc!
Nearly got run over by female cyclist who drove against a NO ENTRY' sign exiting Roupell Street past the tennis courts on into Blackfriars Road. In the space of a few seconds I counted 10 cyclists all going the wrong way
. Perhaps they were Halloween mood trying to scare living daylights out of people... What sort of mind do these cretins possess? If at all..
.

And I nearly got knocked off my bike by a van driver who decided to swerve left and mount the pavement to under-take a car that was waiting to turn right, immediately after he had overtaken me - all so that he could get to the next red light a little bit quicker in a 20mph zone.

We can all list examples of irresponsible/dangerous use of the roads but I don't think it is entirely relevant to a discussion about transport planning.
Wednesday 1 November 2017 10.50am
theedy wrote:
There will be a problem in Roupell Street as it is rammed with pedestrians morning and evening with as noted friction with cyclists already when it is meant to be one way for most of its length

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you, but is the friction on the pavement, or the road?
Wednesday 1 November 2017 11.05am
Guy's street wrote:
theedy wrote:
There will be a problem in Roupell Street as it is rammed with pedestrians morning and evening with as noted friction with cyclists already when it is meant to be one way for most of its length

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you, but is the friction on the pavement, or the road?

Too many people, not enough pavement. I don't know why cycles would be more of a problem than cars, I suppose cyclists hug the kerb so it could be.
Wednesday 1 November 2017 11.33am
Paramount wrote:
Nearly got run over by female cyclist who drove against a NO ENTRY' sign exiting Roupell Street past the tennis courts on into Blackfriars Road. In the space of a few seconds I counted 10 cyclists all going the wrong way
. Perhaps they were Halloween mood trying to scare living daylights out of people... What sort of mind do these cretins possess? If at all..
.

Paramount - I don't know the local geography very well, but I think you mean she was turning east onto Meymott Street from Hatfields? If so (and according to Google Streetview) she (and the other 10 cyclists you counted in a few seconds) were using the cycle path eastbound along Meymott Street, but I assume you mean they took a shortcut turning right out of Hatfields, wrongsiding the one-way sign on the small traffic island? Dangerous, and presumably illegal. But I must admit when I read your complaint I thought you meant they were cycling the wrong way along the whole length of a one-way street!

But back to Roupell Street. According to Google Maps (so I can't guarantee it), Roupell Street is currently one-way westbound from the corner with Theed Street as far as Cornwall Road. This is the stretch that Lambeth Council say they intend to make two-way for cyclists, allowing them to travel eastbound against the flow. But I'm puzzled by the status of Roupell Street east of Theed Street: there’s a short stretch that is one-way eastbound as far as the school (the rest is already two-way). If Lambeth Council are really not proposing any changes here, then under the proposed scheme, cyclists would be able to use the full length of Roupell Street eastbound - but not westbound. It may be that Lambeth's description of the proposal as applying 'between Cornwall Road and Theed Street' is incomplete - can anyone clarify?

But in general I'm worried by Lambeth's statement about narrow streets: 'At these locations it is still possible to allow two-way cycling without providing cycle lanes, provided vehicle flows and speeds are sufficiently low. In these streets, drivers and/or cyclists may be required to give way to each other where the road is too narrow for them to pass each other at certain points.'

So no clearly-marked cycle lane, just some confusing arrows and a gentlemanly agreement to give way? All very well for the occasional slow-moving local cyclist, but it sounds from Paramount's experience in Meymott Street that the local streets are used by bevies of cycling commuters, in a hurry to get home or to work. I'm not sure if the traffic planners have caught up with this phenomenon yet. If the Roupell Street-Meymott Street link is intended to be used as a commuting route it needs to be planned as such (and that means Southwark and Lambeth getting together!).

Personally what would put me off cycling along Roupell Street is the number of parked cars narrowing the already narrow road.
Wednesday 1 November 2017 11.34am
GS. In the road, it would make more sense to pedestrianise it rather than encourage cyclists. Another great idea from the deskbound. I have nothing against cyclists per se.
Wednesday 1 November 2017 2.25pm
theedy wrote:
GS. In the road, it would make more sense to pedestrianise it rather than encourage cyclists. Another great idea from the deskbound. I have nothing against cyclists per se.
Yes, pedestrianizing it would be one way of avoiding conflict. Don't know what knock-on affect that would have on other traffic/parking in the area myself.

Is there conflict between drivers and pedestrians at present, or do the pedestrians not mind giving up the road to cars as much as they do cyclists?
Wednesday 1 November 2017 2.39pm
Guy's street wrote:
theedy wrote:
GS. In the road, it would make more sense to pedestrianise it rather than encourage cyclists. Another great idea from the deskbound. I have nothing against cyclists per se.
Yes, pedestrianizing it would be one way of avoiding conflict. Don't know what knock-on affect that would have on other traffic/parking in the area myself.

Is there conflict between drivers and pedestrians at present, or do the pedestrians not mind giving up the road to cars as much as they do cyclists?

Speaking as a pedestrian, bikes are much more of a menace than cars. Cyclists don't want to stop for any reason, and just bawl at you to get out of the way. I've been knocked down twice, once on a zebra crossing which I was half way across. The other time was on the small bit of pavement reserved for pedestrians on the new kent road up near E & C. Cyclists have a bike lane, plus they can use the bus lane, but they still use the pavement regularly.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions