London SE1 community website

Lambeth proposal 2 way cycle lanes Roupell St etc

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Wednesday 1 November 2017 3.32pm
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
theedy wrote:
GS. In the road, it would make more sense to pedestrianise it rather than encourage cyclists. Another great idea from the deskbound. I have nothing against cyclists per se.
Yes, pedestrianizing it would be one way of avoiding conflict. Don't know what knock-on affect that would have on other traffic/parking in the area myself.

Is there conflict between drivers and pedestrians at present, or do the pedestrians not mind giving up the road to cars as much as they do cyclists?

Speaking as a pedestrian, bikes are much more of a menace than cars. Cyclists don't want to stop for any reason, and just bawl at you to get out of the way. I've been knocked down twice, once on a zebra crossing which I was half way across. The other time was on the small bit of pavement reserved for pedestrians on the new kent road up near E & C. Cyclists have a bike lane, plus they can use the bus lane, but they still use the pavement regularly.

Bikes, nor cars, are a menace. They are both inanimate.

Some road users are a menace - such as the one driving a van who would've knocked me off my bike last night had I not taken evasive action - or the person who stepped out in front of me last week while looking at their phone (also an inanimate object, and not to blame for the person's behaviour). Also the person driving a car who followed me (at about 20mph) along Old Ford Road constantly trying to overtake when there was no space to do so, and then nearly drove intop the back of a truck when he finally overtook me at speed without realising there was a queue of traffic 50 metres down the road.
Wednesday 1 November 2017 3.33pm
Paramount wrote:
Nearly got run over by female cyclist who drove against a NO ENTRY' sign exiting Roupell Street past the tennis courts on into Blackfriars Road. In the space of a few seconds I counted 10 cyclists all going the wrong way
. Perhaps they were Halloween mood trying to scare living daylights out of people... What sort of mind do these cretins possess? If at all..

Sounds like you're talking about Meymott Street, where it is clearly marked by a great big bike symbol on the road that cyclists can go east. Cyclists can't go past the junction with Colombo Street but you say it was 'exiting Roupell Street'. I regularly have to swerve to avoid stupid pedestrians there.
Wednesday 1 November 2017 4.56pm
Guy's street wrote:
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
theedy wrote:
GS. In the road, it would make more sense to pedestrianise it rather than encourage cyclists. Another great idea from the deskbound. I have nothing against cyclists per se.
Yes, pedestrianizing it would be one way of avoiding conflict. Don't know what knock-on affect that would have on other traffic/parking in the area myself.

Is there conflict between drivers and pedestrians at present, or do the pedestrians not mind giving up the road to cars as much as they do cyclists?

Speaking as a pedestrian, bikes are much more of a menace than cars. Cyclists don't want to stop for any reason, and just bawl at you to get out of the way. I've been knocked down twice, once on a zebra crossing which I was half way across. The other time was on the small bit of pavement reserved for pedestrians on the new kent road up near E & C. Cyclists have a bike lane, plus they can use the bus lane, but they still use the pavement regularly.

Bikes, nor cars, are a menace. They are both inanimate.

Some road users are a menace - such as the one driving a van who would've knocked me off my bike last night had I not taken evasive action - or the person who stepped out in front of me last week while looking at their phone (also an inanimate object, and not to blame for the person's behaviour). Also the person driving a car who followed me (at about 20mph) along Old Ford Road constantly trying to overtake when there was no space to do so, and then nearly drove intop the back of a truck when he finally overtook me at speed without realising there was a queue of traffic 50 metres down the road.

I can well imagine that as a cyclist, cars are a menace. I was just speaking from my experiences as a pedestrian :)
Wednesday 1 November 2017 6.26pm
beetroot wrote:
Paramount wrote:
Nearly got run over by female cyclist who drove against a NO ENTRY' sign exiting Roupell Street past the tennis courts on into Blackfriars Road. In the space of a few seconds I counted 10 cyclists all going the wrong way
. Perhaps they were Halloween mood trying to scare living daylights out of people... What sort of mind do these cretins possess? If at all..

Sounds like you're talking about Meymott Street, where it is clearly marked by a great big bike symbol on the road that cyclists can go east. Cyclists can't go past the junction with Colombo Street but you say it was 'exiting Roupell Street'. I regularly have to swerve to avoid stupid pedestrians there.

See my message further back, beetroot, where I tried to interpret Paramount's concern - I THINK he was complaining about cyclists coming from Roupell Street into the awkward dogleg of Hatfields, who, instead of braking hard to negotiate the tricky sharp right-hand turn into the Meymott Street cycle lane, take a short cut and pass the central one-way sign on the right. It could be very disconcerting to pedestrians crossing north to south, who having successfully crossed the cycle lane DON'T then expect to have to look both ways for traffic on the part of Meymott Street that is marked for traffic travelling westbound.

That being said, I've been travelling round London on foot, bicycle, bus, tube, train and even tram for about 70 years. I've yelled at (and had heated arguments with) cyclists riding on the pavement - but I've never been knocked down, nearly run over, or even had the living daylights scared out of me, by a cyclist. I have been knocked off my bike by a pedestrian stepping into the road in front of me - and that was long before mobile phones.

Keep your eyes open and your wits about you.

I expect James will be closing this discussion down shortly!
Wednesday 1 November 2017 8.57pm
John C wrote:
beetroot wrote:
Paramount wrote:

See my message further back, beetroot, where I tried to interpret Paramount's concern - I THINK he was complaining about cyclists coming from Roupell Street into the awkward dogleg of Hatfields, who, instead of braking hard to negotiate the tricky sharp right-hand turn into the Meymott Street cycle lane, take a short cut and pass the central one-way sign on the right. It could be very disconcerting to pedestrians crossing north to south, who having successfully crossed the cycle lane DON'T then expect to have to look both ways for traffic on the part of Meymott Street that is marked for traffic travelling westbound.

That being said, I've been travelling round London on foot, bicycle, bus, tube, train and even tram for about 70 years. I've yelled at (and had heated arguments with) cyclists riding on the pavement - but I've never been knocked down, nearly run over, or even had the living daylights scared out of me, by a cyclist. I have been knocked off my bike by a pedestrian stepping into the road in front of me - and that was long before mobile phones.

THAT is up to James... as an impartial Editor... however it should be noted this debate will continue be it here Church Pub the man on the Clapham Omnibus.. street etc. Yes apologises.. It was Meymott Street clearly stating big letters signage NO ENTRY.... I didn't notice any signs stating cyclists had access going East. But it's so dark around there
Thursday 2 November 2017 9.06am
Paramount wrote:
John C wrote:
beetroot wrote:
Paramount wrote:

THAT is up to James... as an impartial Editor... however it should be noted this debate will continue be it here Church Pub the man on the Clapham Omnibus.. street etc. Yes apologises.. It was Meymott Street clearly stating big letters signage NO ENTRY.... I didn't notice any signs stating cyclists had access going East. But it's so dark around there

My apologies to everyone - I thought Paramount was a local and would know that cycling east on Meymott Street is perfectly legal - and that therefore the cyclists must have done something else to annoy him: that when he said they went 'the wrong way' he meant that they had taken a short cut across the corner of Meymott Street and ridden on the wrong side of the road (between two 'no entry' signs) before joining the cycle lane. I should not have tried to second-guess another contributor's meaning. It's now not at all clear to me what actually happened - and I must also apologise for casting aspersions on the innocent cyclists who use this route!

For the corner in question see https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5050685,-0.1064664,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssgIiPo6nPiHDQzutb-BVRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Thursday 2 November 2017 9.13am
However, the section of Meymott Street east of the Colombo Street junction (towards Blackfriars Road) does not allow eastbound cycling, so Paramount is correct on that score.

Worth noting, though, that the intended eastbound route for cyclists (via Colombo Street) is currently closed due to construction works on the new Hoxton hotel, so the temptation to use Meymott Street is greater than usual.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 2 November 2017 10.59pm
James Hatts wrote:
However, the section of Meymott Street east of the Colombo Street junction (towards Blackfriars Road) does not allow eastbound cycling, so Paramount is correct on that score.
Worth noting, though, that the intended eastbound route for cyclists (via Colombo Street) is currently closed due to construction works on the new Hoxton hotel, so the temptation to use Meymott Street is greater than usual.
Thank you James... sign clearly says NO ENTRY plus cyclists are riding on pavements in Blackfriars Road and Stamford/Southwark St etc instead of using the cycle lanes which were empty again tonight or wheeling them to the cycle docking station... they will persist in speeding up to the cycle racks like some cowboys on their horses our to the Grande old Oprah etc.. I was about to get on a 388 bus at Wait rose tonight and nearly bowled into the air by another errant cyclist cutting between the bus shelter and the bus door.. it appears to be deliberate aggressive action by cyclists against buses n passengers etc and I intend bringing this business to police attention
Thursday 2 November 2017 11.24pm
Paramount wrote:
James Hatts wrote:
Thank you James... sign clearly says NO ENTRY plus cyclists are riding on pavements in Blackfriars Road and Stamford/Southwark St etc instead of using the cycle lanes which were empty again tonight or wheeling them to the cycle docking station... they will persist in speeding up to the cycle racks like some cowboys on their horses our to the Grande old Oprah etc.. I was about to get on a 388 bus at Wait rose tonight and nearly bowled into the air by another errant cyclist cutting between the bus shelter and the bus door.. it appears to be deliberate aggressive action by cyclists against buses n passengers etc and I intend bringing this business to police attention
As an Addendum some cycles are sports type with no brakes apparently..,
Cotswolds 12
Zoe
Friday 3 November 2017 9.23pm
if we are doing pet peeves, can I add in about cars cutting across the bike lane to take a short cut from Blackfriars Road onto The Cut (which is no shorter if you time it). I have had to slam my brakes on so many times as cars cut across, it's like the bikes are absolutely invisible. I then find cars and lorries parking and blocking Meymott Street outside the hotel (this has happened for years).

Further down Hatfields and on to Upper Ground, so many people illegally park that the counter flow bike lane becomes really dangerous. Sometimes a lorry parks on one side, then a taxi will pull up on the other and the road is totally blocked. I am mystified how they get away with it! I'll then find a lorry parked in the bike lane as it goes up hill to Blackfriars Road. It feels like an obstacle course on a morning.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions