London SE1 community website

Lambeth proposal 2 way cycle lanes Roupell St etc

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Friday 3 November 2017 9.51pm
James Hatts wrote:
However, the section of Meymott Street east of the Colombo Street junction (towards Blackfriars Road) does not allow eastbound cycling, so Paramount is correct on that score.
Worth noting, though, that the intended eastbound route for cyclists (via Colombo Street) is currently closed due to construction works on the new Hoxton hotel, so the temptation to use Meymott Street is greater than usual.
I When is Hoxton Hotel due open? Looks huge how many bedrooms?
Saturday 4 November 2017 11.14am
Zoe wrote:
if we are doing pet peeves, can I add in about cars cutting across the bike lane to take a short cut from Blackfriars Road onto The Cut (which is no shorter if you time it). I have had to slam my brakes on so many times as cars cut across, it's like the bikes are absolutely invisible. I then find cars and lorries parking and blocking Meymott Street outside the hotel (this has happened for years).
Further down Hatfields and on to Upper Ground, so many people illegally park that the counter flow bike lane becomes really dangerous. Sometimes a lorry parks on one side, then a taxi will pull up on the other and the road is totally blocked. I am mystified how they get away with it! I'll then find a lorry parked in the bike lane as it goes up hill to Blackfriars Road. It feels like an obstacle course on a morning.

I don't think it's rocket science to make motorised vehicles/cyclists/pedestrians co-exist in relative harmony: the Danish and Dutch models applied to their capital cities have been tried and tested for decades. London is not that different from A'dam or Copenhagen (I don't think size comes into it, it's all proportional), so there seems to be a reluctance by the powers that be to implement/enforce similar designs?
Zoe
Saturday 4 November 2017 7.07pm
I agree, it really doesn't seem like rocket science but we end up having to spend ages discussing cyclists when we really should be discussing the poor road design.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions