London SE1 community website

Butchers on Great Suffolk Street to close

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 15 January 2018 10.58am
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Suffolk Meats, the butcher on Great Suffolk Street, is closing for good at Easter.

They put a note out with their Christmas calendars - they're both retiring after 35 years in business.
No definite word on what will replace them but rumour was either a deli or a coffee shop.

I'll be very sorry to see them go. Not only is the meat very tasty but it's cheap: proper ham off the bone at literally half the price of the local 'super'markets. And they sell good cheese and pies.

A loss to the area I reckon.
Monday 15 January 2018 12.07pm
This is really sad news best Rib Eye Beef and great customer service.
Monday 15 January 2018 1.06pm
Yes, terrible shame. I found out on Saturday, even though I had a calendar at Christmas which had a note in it - must have still been in the envelope when I threw it away. I have no idea where there's another butcher which is easily accessible, with good quality meat at reasonable prices. It is going to be (another) coffee shop / deli. Just what local residents need!
Monday 15 January 2018 1.07pm
Really? I thought they are doing fine... So sad. Any other good butchers around you recommend?

Regards,

William
Monday 15 January 2018 3.07pm
Sad to see the only butcher in the area go, but I'm not surprised.
I've only been once and I have to say was not impressed. I was looking for really thin slices of beef (to make Beef Roll Ups) since they don't sell them at the local supermarket.
Not only they didn't have them, but they didn't even have the tools to cut thicker pieces of beef into thin slices.
My overall impression is that the place was stuck in the 60s and unfortunately you have to up your game if you want to survive as a business these days.
Monday 15 January 2018 4.49pm
I'm so sad to see that they are closing.
Good Butchers are very hard to find, and they are one of the best,
I have been using them for over 20 years, and have never been disappointed with the cuts of meat. Great customer service, they take time to get to know you.
Monday 15 January 2018 6.15pm
Just to clarify, this isn't because the business is failing but because the proprietors are retiring!

It certainly was old-fashioned and I expect whatever replaces them will turnover a lot more money. The landlord is probably delighted.
Tuesday 16 January 2018 10.44am
Yes, retiring after 35 years. A thriving business and a proper butcher, who bought whole lambs and sides of beef, then butchered them himself into all the individual cuts. I find it hard to believe he can do this for a living and not be able to slice some beef thinly which, incidentally, he always does for me. Very odd.
Tuesday 16 January 2018 4.31pm
suziq wrote:
Yes, retiring after 35 years. A thriving business and a proper butcher, who bought whole lambs and sides of beef, then butchered them himself into all the individual cuts. I find it hard to believe he can do this for a living and not be able to slice some beef thinly which, incidentally, he always does for me. Very odd.

I'm not sure what your saying here suzig. Could you clarify .
Tuesday 16 January 2018 4.43pm
scooter wrote:
suziq wrote:

I'm not sure what your saying here suzig. Could you clarify .

Oh, not just me then :)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions