London SE1 community website

Washing Machine repair - recommendations needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 5 February 2018 10.29am
Hi

Has anyone any recommendations for washing machine repairs?

Thanks
Amy
Monday 5 February 2018 11.37am
My slightly facetious recommendation is to buy a new one. I had a Hotpoint which started misbehaving after about 4 years. Got the hotpoint technician out, who very ably replaced the circuit board. Then 3 months later the belt started slipping off. I replaced the belt, and about 2 weeks later the motor burnt out.
Later found out that the average lifespan of a modern washer is something like 3 years. They don't make em like they used to

Saying all that, I always prefer to fix something rather than junk it. Sadly you don't know if you're throwing good money after bad.
Sorry if that's unhelpful.
Monday 5 February 2018 7.38pm
PeteStaples wrote:
My slightly facetious recommendation is to buy a new one.

Sorry if that's unhelpful.
not at all! Turns out having rang around three repair places, due to the machine being older than 8 years they all suggested it would be better to buy new!
I always prefer to get things mended but at 80+ call out plus parts and labour its seems in this instance it may not be worth it...
Thursday 8 February 2018 1.27am
Guess you don't need it now, but for future reference/others, this chap did a good job for us (and didn't charge crazy prices):

Ismael Fraser
First Serve
07984 670782
http://firstserveuk.co.uk/

They have quite a helpful blog on the website too.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions