London SE1 community website

Selfish cyclists

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 19 February 2018 8.20am
What is it with some cyclists?
Twice in the last last 2 weeks I have nearly been hit by cyclists while walking on the pavement.
Last week while walking on the pavement in Globe st I was almost hit by a cyclist who was riding on the pavement.
Globe street has a purpose built cycle lane but he decided his fellow cyclist wasn't going fast enough in the cycle lane so mounted the pavement to pass him.
This morning while walking on the pavement in Trinity Street, I was just going through the barrier on the pavement when a cyclist almost hit me from behind. He was on the pavement when there was a safe cycle highway in place on the road for him. I pointed out that the cycle lane was on the road. He just said "there's a gap here as well"
Millions have been spent on safe cycle routes and cycle highways yet some cyclists continue to go on the pavements. They also think they have a right to be abusive and aggressive.
I've stopped walking along the Victoria canal because of fast moving aggressive cyclists with anger issues.
Monday 19 February 2018 10.35am
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks they are selfish. Since the new road layout in Tooley St, they think they can run the red light at the junction of Bermondsey St. I've nearly been hit twice in the last week crossing here when I had the right to cross (green man). One of the cyclists didn't have a helmet either.
Monday 19 February 2018 10.47am
The pavement cyclist got so heated on the Forum discussion years ago James had to close the thread! Agree that pavements are for pedestrians , and riders under ten!
Monday 19 February 2018 2.06pm
I think it is time cyclists should be made to put licence plates on their
bikes and fined if they don’t register them. I am fed up shouting after them
“ the lights are for you too” , when I am trying to cross the road, never mind
having to look over my shoulder when on the pavement.
Power to pedestrians??
Monday 19 February 2018 2.30pm
That sound you hear is another large can of worms being opened....tin hats on.

BUT before we are banned again, any ideas for getting it across to tourists that it is not the law that the Santander bikes are expressly for cycling on the pavement.....apart from shouting at them as they wobble past?
Monday 19 February 2018 2.37pm
As the city gets busier things will get worse, gentle cycling with smiles and laughter joy is what we want, cycled thirty five years here and it’s not even plesent for me
Highly indicative of our times but little to be done unless you want a torrent of abuse, not much fun at all, like drivers on mobiles, cyclists on pavements are a real hazard, shame them, raise the fines make them outcasts, they are a disgrace
Monday 19 February 2018 3.08pm
I sense that this thread is likely to cover the same ground as many previous exchanges of views on this topic, none of which have proved to be edifying experiences.

Therefore I am closing the thread.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions