London SE1 community website

Blackfriars Bridge bus lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 21 May 2019 12.07pm
suziq wrote:
As there will be only one bus going over Blackfriars Bridge from June onwards, I have to wonder why we even need a bus lane.
No, the 40 is being diverted over Blackfriars Bridge to Clerkenwell (instead of via London Bridge to Aldgate) - so there will still be still be two buses over the bridge (40 and 63), though we're losing the 388, a very useful link from the London Wall area (having already lost the 100 from this route).
Tuesday 21 May 2019 1.09pm
I didn't realise that. Thanks for the info. Yes, loss of 388 is a problem / inconvenience and the RV1, also having only one bus to the Elephant instead of three.
Tuesday 21 May 2019 1.10pm
You'll still have two buses from Blackfriars Road to the Elephant - the 40 and the 63

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 21 May 2019 3.52pm
For London Wall, a route I use, you will need the 76 No use if you start in E&C
Wednesday 22 May 2019 11.05am
I am also upset at the removal of the 45 for when I need to go to St Pancras to catch the Eurostar. Hope they'll increase the frequency of the 63...
Wednesday 22 May 2019 11.10am
We will still need the bus lane on Blackfriars Bdge. regardless due to the number of taxis which use it for connecting Blackfriars to King's X, St Pancras and Euston.
Friday 24 May 2019 1.50pm
Yesterday afternoon I watched the northbound traffic on Blackfriars bridge for a few minutes, to try and see why it's such a logjam. Seems entirely down to the traffic light timing at the northern end, which were only green long enough for 3 or 4 vehicles to pass through each time (ie two from each lane). I didn't time it but it's probably red for 3 or 4 mins, then green for about 30 seconds. Buses were managing to squeeze down the bus lane at that point, but a taxi driver didn't fancy it and stopped halfway.

I bored myself writing that so apologies if anyone has fallen asleep reading it back...
Friday 24 May 2019 11.00pm
Other causes for delay on Blackfriars Bdge. are the drivers who stay in the right hand lane until they get through the lights and then stop and indicate left to drive up New Bdge. St. instead of staying in their lane and diving along Queen Vic. St.

The other cause is Southwark Bdge. Lots of drivers avoid it so head to Blackfriars instead. The green phase at Uppr. Thames St is dire and often the traffic tales back to the south side. If the phasing was sorted at the northern end, less traffic would divert to Blackfriars.
Monday 27 May 2019 9.56am
And, of course, drivers no longer being able to turn left onto The Embankment from Blackfriars Bridge.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions