London SE1 community website

The rug factory long lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 1 April 2018 9.02pm
Strange how a photo can trigger a memory, going through old post concerning the rug factory, Bedford, Steer, End and co. Wire workers jumped into my mind. Before it was rug factory it was part of artisans wire working history, they were in Lord Mayors show in 1894 showing their skills of wire work ( okay that bits not memory,more me looking it up!) sure the name was on or above tiles fairly recently. The I remembered the Japanners in Tabard street . They decorated tinware as I recall. Then athe paper factory in Tabard street..Thoms...going to have to think about other industry we have lost, we co-existed with it, not now all signs of trades are disappearing!
Sunday 1 April 2018 11.28pm
Jan the old one wrote:
.,.going to have to think about other industry we have lost, we co-existed with it, not now all signs of trades are disappearing!

Itís not as if industry itself is disappearing, itís with different industries, no? I think there are more businesses than ever in SE1, but itís office workers rather than artisans. I regret never to have seen the docks, bustling with ships. Canít help feeling nostalgic about that, so much more interesting than marketing and advertising agencies, tech firms, estate agents and all the Prets, Starbucks etc that cater for them.
Tuesday 3 April 2018 7.54pm
At New Cross Edward I remember looking down Clifton Rise as a child and seeing a beautiful sight, it was a foggy morning and you could see cranes and boats..in bed in Long Lane evening you could hear foghorns tooting. Laying in bed you would sometimes see the sweep of car headlights occasionally coming through our bedroom curtains. We lived number 1 Strood house..that was in 1953 and the excitement I felt when my friends parent had a telephone , the only one in the square!
The only graffiti artists was us kids who lived in the square chalking on the floor for hopscotch! Days of so little but none of us cockneys felt deprived, it was as it was...
Wednesday 4 April 2018 8.26pm
I came across this group recently and support the idea that a 'good city has everything' https://www.vitalokr.com/

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions