London SE1 community website

Marathon road closures

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 22 April 2018 10.13pm
I could write a lengthy diatribe on this, but it would bore you all to tears, so I’ll go for the abridged version.
We live some 90-100 metres from Brunel Road SE16, which is on the marathon route.
Not unreasonably, all access to Brunel Road was closed from around 08.30-09.00 today.
At 14.40, my wife walked out on to our first floor kitchen patio balcony, and looked toward Brunel Road.
“Can’t see any stragglers”, she said, “give it an hour, then go to Tesco at Surrey Quays and get me some stuff, okay?”
I went one better, I left it until 16.45, then drove to the end of Rupack St. SE16, where it joins Brunel Road.
There was a Road Closed sign there, and four or five traffic cones, plus a disinterested looking young Asian guy in a hi-vis jacket.
There were cars going along Brunel, left and right, so I asked if I could get through please.
“No, I haven’t been told to remove the cones and sign yet.”
I pointed out that cars were going past us as we spoke, and that Jamaica Road and Lower Road both had traffic moving along them.
“Yes, I can see that, but no one has told me to open this section yet.”
I said, “What will you do if I move a cone, and join the cars heading toward Lower Road?”
“I’ll take your number.”
I gave him an old working biro, and said, “There you go, knock yourself out”, then moved a cone and went to Tesco.
Monday 23 April 2018 4.31pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
I gave him an old working biro, and said, “There you go, knock yourself out”, then moved a cone and went to Tesco.

I was trying to work out what 'an old working biro' was a euphemism for then realised I was reading too much into it
Monday 23 April 2018 9.32pm
Relax, he was only doing his job.
We in the area bounded by Tower Bridge Road, Tooley St/Jamaica Rd/ the River, are blocked in until late afternoon every year.
Presumably an ambulance would get through.
Tuesday 24 April 2018 9.00pm
SERES wrote:
Relax, he was only doing his job.
We in the area bounded by Tower Bridge Road, Tooley St/Jamaica Rd/ the River, are blocked in until late afternoon every year.
Presumably an ambulance would get through.

I take your point SERES, I really do, but as I said, traffic was moving freely in both directions along Brunel Road, (the road he wouldn’t give me access to), and both Jamaica Road and Lower Road as well.
Any vehicle could have gained access to all three roads, ambulance, police, fire engine, anything, but he was intransigent.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions