London SE1 community website

Stevenson & Howell Ltd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 18 May 2018 11.41am
I was curious about the claim by the Hilton hotel on Great Suffolk St to be on the site of this former distillery. I was completely unaware this history though further investigation seems to actually place it on the other side of the road on the corner with Southwark St.

As I recall the land where the Hilton is was a collection of corrugated industrial units of light engineering with a Pentecostal(?) church occupying one of them. Not quite such a prestigious history.
Friday 18 May 2018 1.03pm
[url=https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Stevenson_and_Howell][/url]
Saturday 19 May 2018 10.44am
Yes Edward, I came across that one. I had a list of the businesses on Southwark St by building number which provided a fascinating insight into its industrial past but I've forgotten the link now.
Tuesday 22 May 2018 10.30am
Someone with knowledge of the company has contacted me and asked me to post this:

Quote:
Stevenson & Howell were distillers of essenses, used as flavourings. They did not distill alcohol. Their misleading address was Standard Works, 95a Southwark Street, SE1. Misleading because in fact the premises were behind, not on, Southwark Street, occupying most of a triangular shaped site bounded by Price's Street, Bear Lane and Suffolk Street. A booklet giving a brief history of the firm, published in 1982 by the Greater London Industrial Archaeology Society, is held at John Harvard Local History Library.

which would seem to suggest that they did indeed occupy the site that is now the Hilton hotel.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 May 2018 9.51am
Ok. Marketing blurb tends to make such outrageous statements I was a little suspicious of this one.

With the new White Hart having now swallowed up 'The best quality food in London' I'll have to look harder for extravagant claims.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions