London SE1 community website

Where is the window cleaner?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 21 May 2018 8.35am
For years around Elephant & Castle/St George's Circus we had a wonderful regular window cleaner, great guy with a grey ponytail. In all these years I've never known his name or his number. Now I haven't seen him for months. Does anyone local know what's happened to him?
Monday 21 May 2018 9.14am
He came to clean our windows a couple of months ago (he left his usual little note) but I have not seen him for a long time either. We are worried he might have fallen off this ladder. My neighbour said it happened to him before and he had broken an arm. I don't know his name or number either.
Monday 21 May 2018 10.29am
That's what's worrying me too, Connie. He did have a fall a few years ago. I really hope he comes back soon, he's such a great guy.
Monday 21 May 2018 3.11pm
So it's usual then? My father worked his whole life as a window cleaner, yet no one ever knew his name. At his funeral, I was surprised by the number of people there to pay respect, but for months after many more told me on discovering I was his son saying if the obituaries had just said 'The window cleaner' many more would have been there.

Shame he wasn't so popular at home!
Wednesday 23 May 2018 7.12pm
I've seen him very recently (last week) around Walcot Square. If anyone has a name/number I'd love it, otherwise I'll stop him next time I see him and share the info.
Friday 25 May 2018 10.49am
How funny, he came to clean our windows this morning! All is fine.
Friday 25 May 2018 6.01pm
... so, do you have his details?
Tuesday 29 May 2018 8.59am
I am afraid he does not want to give his contact details away. We'll just have to hope he reappears more regularly or get used to dirty windows :)

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions