London SE1 community website

Alarm/siren during early hours

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 28 May 2018 7.08am
I live on Snowsfields and keep being woken up during the early hours, between 1-3am by some kind of two tone alarm/siren - similar to the alarms you get in office buildings. It lasts for a few minutes (but of course I can't get back to sleep for a while after)

I am pretty sensitive to sound, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one hearing this/being woken up by it. I thought it might be something to do with testing of equipment at the station perhaps. Has anyone else been disturbed by it?
Tuesday 29 May 2018 2.32pm
I've also heard what sounds like the alarm you describe in the early hours, accompanied with a recorded voice but it's not possible to make out what is being said. I once walked past HMS Belfast and heard it emit a very similar alarm so have assumed that was the source.
Zoe
Thursday 31 May 2018 10.08pm
How close does it sound? Southwark tube station has what sounds like a very similar alarm and Iím wondering if you can hear London Bridge or Borough
Tuesday 26 June 2018 2.08pm
That's the alarm in William Hill on the corner of Snowsfields and Weston Street. You can report this to Southwark Council Noise Team. They have powers to take enforcement action.
Go to www.southwark.gov.uk and search for "noise".

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions