London SE1 community website

Virgin Media Landline

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 17 July 2018 12.14am
Hello All,
I just wondered if anyone else had been experiencing problems with their VirginMedia landline over the last month. I can't get a dial tone late evening until the next day, sometimes not until lunchtime. If anyone tries to call me the line is engaged. Last week it kept ringing during the night just once but over and over again. When i picked up there were just clicking sounds on the other end. Fortunately I don't use it very often but I'm interested to know if anyone else has a similar problem. An engineer is coming on Wednesday so I'm hopeful they'll sort it out.
Sarah V
Zoe
Tuesday 17 July 2018 8.53pm
Mine hasnít worked for a month and two visits hasnít fixed it
Wednesday 18 July 2018 7.14pm
Hi Zoe,
The engineer came this afternoon and tested my phone equipment and told me that my phone was fine (I knew that already!) He said it was definitely an area fault. He said VM wait until complaints build up before they send the engineers out to sort it! He has now changed my line to a different port at the exchange so cross fingers that will do the trick.
If I still have problems, I'll post it on here.
Good luck with trying to get your line sorted!
Sarah
Friday 20 July 2018 9.38am
Well, that was short-lived!
Phone line went down again last night mid call and didn't come back until 9.30am this morning.
I've booked another engineer visit for Monday morning.
Zoe, is yours still down? Do you have an intermittent service like me or is it down all the time?
Zoe
Sunday 22 July 2018 8.07pm
Mine hasnít been fixed as Virgin are a bit useless. Other people in my block have also had their phone go down (not Virgin but itís all BT line of course). I wonder if thereís a wider problem.
Monday 23 July 2018 8.16am
Virgin Media were hopeless when I was a subscriber. Constant interruptions in the internet - which was fibre. Difficult to get information from them. Not convinced they knew what the problems were - but it was clear and even partly admitted they were doing nothing to sort them out. Since changed to BT ADSL and telecoms have been much more reliable (although slower than the fibre when it was working). 15 Mbits adequate for most purposes.
Tuesday 24 July 2018 7.04am
Zoe wrote:
Mine hasnít been fixed as Virgin are a bit useless. Other people in my block have also had their phone go down (not Virgin but itís all BT line of course). I wonder if thereís a wider problem.
The engineer came yesterday and changed all the cables at the exchange and in the box on the street. I was convinced it was fixed but woke in the early hours and picked up the phone to check. No dial tone! As I write this at 8am it still isn't back.
Btw Zoe, I asked the engineer if the line is BT's and he said no it was Virgin's own line.
I hope I will get a refund for my line rental at least.
What worries me is that we could have an emergency at night and no mobile to hand, pick up the landline and not be able to dial out.
Back to the drawing board.
Tuesday 24 July 2018 7.50am
Just got off the phone with VM and they are saying it is an area fault again, not just me, and the line will be back up within 4 hours. I had this before and it does come back but only to go again in the evening.
Why do I get the feeling that I'm not hearing all the story?
I asked about having my line rental refunded and they said it would be refunded pro rata so I wonder how they'll work that one out!
Wednesday 25 July 2018 12.58pm
So of course the line was dead again last night and the dial tone came back at 8.30 this morning. I'm going to stop posting the blow by blow details of this on the forum as it makes very dull reading but could I ask anyone who is reading this and has a Virgin Media landline dependent on the Bacon Grove Exchange (Grange Road and surrounding area) to pick up their receiver from time to time late at night/early in the morning to check if you have a dial tone. They keep saying it is an area fault and I wonder if there might be more chance of getting it sorted once and for all if a few of us got together to complain about it.
Thanks for putting up with the rant!
Zoe
Thursday 26 July 2018 8.59pm
We are finally back on as is the other person who was still out, but it may not last from your story!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions