London SE1 community website

Westminster Bridge Road Traffic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 8 August 2018 11.30am
Getting fed up now with the complete failure of the re-design of the Park Plaza roundabout junction. The lane reduction and building of the cycle lane there now means that traffic constantly backs up all the way down Westminster Bridge Road and Kennington Road. The pollution as a result is dreadful from the idling traffic. Buses give up and open doors to angry passengers at dangerous points along the road and the car horns and near misses with cyclists make this whole project a huge fail.

I've just sent a complaint to TfL and I wondered whether anyone else would join with me and get something done to what has now become a regular car parking and pollution nightmare during morning (7am-11am) and afternoon/evening peak.
Wednesday 8 August 2018 1.06pm
Same situation in Blackfriars Road, Southwark Street and Stamford Street and on Blackfriars Bridge into New Bridge Street and Farringdon Road - the list goes on. It doesn't help that Stamford Street / Southwark Street traffic lights only stay on green for approx 15 seconds, so only a handful of vehicles get through at a time. The queues go back down Stamford Street in one direction and back past Southwark Bridge Road in the other direction. Walking down any of these streets is now extremely unpleasant. I have no idea what the solution is though and I suspect nor will TfL.
Wednesday 8 August 2018 1.51pm
They've also added an unnecessary new traffic light from Tooley Street to turn left into Tower Bridge Road. Has increased traffic waiting/idling times on TBR right back to Abbey St, Druid St traffic waiting to turn right and stretching back along Tooley St. Not to mention the bad coordination of the lights at the Druid St junction.
Thursday 9 August 2018 11.30am
On Westminster Bridge Road, the problem is often (like this morning) cars and taxis stopping/parking in the bus lane in front of the new hotel. During peak morning hours, there are so many buses that have to use the cars' lane that there is a build up of traffic.
Also the bend in front of Natwest bank is too narrow and buses are always getting stuck waiting for car traffic to move to have the space to get in the bus lane.
That road should be a red route to avoid car stopping in the bus lane.
Thursday 9 August 2018 12.51pm
That junction on the Westminster Bridge Road near Lambeth North and the Nat West bank really needs a rethink.

The pedestrian desire line between the tube station and the side of Kennington Road with the shops on is unsupported, leading to unpredictable road crossing.

Worse, there's something about the timings of the lights that mean that, extremely frequently, motor vehicle drivers bully their way onto Baylis Road (heading away from the junction) in the few seconds every few minutes that the green man shows for pedestrians.
Friday 10 August 2018 8.38am
Again this morning 2 cars (Uber?) stopped in the bus lane outside the new hotel blocking traffic.
I thought that the junction outside Lambeth North was supposed to be redesigned?
Friday 10 August 2018 10.00am
Yes, I thought that too, but I wonder whether TfL are now realising that they've made a huge mistake and are re-thinking designs - although the proposed re-design of those pedestrian crossings outside Lambeth North was something I supported ironically!

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions