London SE1 community website

Assistance to contact '26' Trinity Church Square, after 69 years

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 14 August 2018 10.37am
My Dad, Mum and myself left '26 basement Unit in Trinity Church Square in 1949, to come to Australia. I have re-visited the area, in the hope I could look inside 'our home', in 1988 & 2007. I sent a registered express letter to 'same' on 25th July, but no reply or action. My Mum & Dad were married in Trinity Church in Sept 1931 and I was also Christened in that church.
Can anyone kindly assist me to contact the owners of '26' basement unit, Trinity Square, in the hope that they would kindly allow me to look inside, to see if the layout etc is anywhere how I remember it as a 3-6 year old, prior to 1949. I am 75, this will be my last trip back to England - my wife and i will be visiting, for the last time, my cousins in Milton Keynes and Uckfield, my wife will re-visit half sisters and brothers in the Stoke on Trent and Tamworth area, also.
I noticed that House Numbers seem to be different to what I recall - so to be clear on which unit it was - as you come up Brockham St to Trinity Square - turn right and it was the 3rd Flat block, but the basement unit. Anyone who knows the people in that unit or if you could visit them and tell them my story and wish - please give them my email address asap. We leave from Adelaide on Aug 24th, my wife's birthday to Perth, we then fly out from Perth on Aug 27/28 (17 hour flight). We will be in London for 2 days Sept 20 - 23rd, before we fly back to Australia. Please help me fulfill my wish. Regards, John Kidman - [email protected]
Tuesday 14 August 2018 11.23am
Hi John, I walk past there quite a bit and could post this through their letter box and put up in the church if you don't get far or a response on here? Good on you for your trip back and never say never! Let me know and I can do this, this weekend. Julia
Tuesday 14 August 2018 8.18pm
Hi Jack,

You could try having a look at the electoral register. Best wishes!
Wednesday 15 August 2018 1.46am
Hi Julia, many thanks for your reply & kind offer re-letter box. Since my Registered letter hasn't worked, at this stage I am happy to try anything, in the hope of contacting those people,in 26, & improving my chance of meeting them & going back to 1949, for a moment. Kind regards & many thanks, John
Wednesday 15 August 2018 6.43am
Hi Jules, many thanks for your suggestion - I'll give it a go. Most Sites want a name or phone No. and I do not know either. Regards, John
Wednesday 15 August 2018 6.47am
Hi Julia, I tried to reply to you on my phone, but not sure it 'got through' to you.

Yes, please re - dropping a note in their letter box, if it's not out of your way or the weather is unsuitable. I'll try any suggestion in the hope that I can make contact and that the occupiers agree to let me have a brief look. Kind Regards, John
Thursday 16 August 2018 9.46am
Jack,
I live round the corner and have contacted the agent who manages lots of the properties in the Square. They replied immediately but said that you may be horrified to know that the on site maintenance team use the basement of number 26 as storage for their tools and kit.
I'd be happy to pass on the direct contact details of the managing agents - they are based on Trinity Street, so just round the corner, and they would probably take you round.
All the best,
Catherine
Thursday 16 August 2018 1.13pm
Hi Catherine,

Many thanks for contacting the owners of No.26, on my behalf. Certainly sounds like it won't be well decorated or even looked after - but as it will be the only chance I'll ever have to look inside No. 26, of I have some clear memories of the layout and not so good memories of Family life there, between the age of about 3-6, I would love the chance to see inside, regardless. Would you please forward the contact details of the Company that owns No.26, so that, hopefully, I can have a look inside.

Yours sincerely and thankfully,
Jack
Thursday 16 August 2018 3.02pm
I'm interested in following this story as being adopted I traced my family home to a block of flats in Pimlico and had thought of doing exactly what your asking. I can fully empathise with your desire to place memories in context. I hope it works out. Keep us updated.
Friday 17 August 2018 1.41am
Many thanks,,Tolstoy, for your email and understanding. I wish you all the best in making your search come true also. Regards, Jack.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions