London SE1 community website

191 Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 23 August 2018 9.45am
I agree. Tee is entitled to have an opinion on the level of noise and rubbish in the neighbourhood just as others are entitled to welcome a Korean restaurant.
Thursday 23 August 2018 12.48pm
I understand differing opinions, but it seems pointless to moan and get upset about a restaurant opening on Bermondsey Street of all places.

I would be more understanding if it were a quiet residential street in the suburbs, and I highly doubt the noise and rubbish is going to become so excessive because of it. It's not like Bermondsey Street isn't now known for good quality restaurants at this point. It's clearly not going to become a Chicken Cottage or Burger King etc.

I wish some people would have a little faith and see what happens instead of jumping to the worst outcome.
Thursday 23 August 2018 7.18pm
goldry wrote:
I understand differing opinions, but it seems pointless to moan and get upset about a restaurant opening on Bermondsey Street of all places.
I would be more understanding if it were a quiet residential street in the suburbs, and I highly doubt the noise and rubbish is going to become so excessive because of it. It's not like Bermondsey Street isn't now known for good quality restaurants at this point. It's clearly not going to become a Chicken Cottage or Burger King etc.

I wish some people would have a little faith and see what happens instead of jumping to the worst outcome.

I couldn't agree more. A new business means more work, more life, more tax revenue and more choice. I truly can't understand people moaning about it.
Friday 24 August 2018 7.54am
A whore house would fulfil Maurits's criteria.
Would Maurits welcome such a venture on his doorstep?
Or maybe a group of forty floor office buildings all competing for light and air?
Now they would bring in so much more revenue.
Of course the answer is, as has been pointed out previously, for the residents who have lived here all their life, 40/50/60/70 and in some cases 80 years and have contributed to the council's coffers for all of their adult lives to move out and make way for the new kids on the block who are so cool in their life-style.
I think not.
Friday 24 August 2018 10.37am
1st world problem I know, but sometimes living among all these offices and workers make it hard to enjoy a day off, as everybody queuing for lunch etc makes it a bit difficult to mentally escape from the working day vibe, which is usually the point of a day off. To counter that: I love walking through the deserted City on an early Sunday morning.
Friday 24 August 2018 3.23pm
I agree Edward. When I venture out early on a Sunday morning it feels as though I have regained ownership of my city. The air seems fresher, it's very quiet, so quiet one can hear the approach of individual cars from about 100 yards and generally the odd individual one sees nods and smiles and occasionally greets one with a cheery 'Good morning'.
The streets haven't been turned into the suburban weekend car park and the frantic pace which will follow from about 11-12 am hasn't developed. But it will and that is the time to return home, have a late breakfast and enjoy the newspapers.
Saturday 25 August 2018 12.29pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
I agree Edward. When I venture out early on a Sunday morning it feels as though I have regained ownership of my city. The air seems fresher, it's very quiet, so quiet one can hear the approach of individual cars from about 100 yards and generally the odd individual one sees nods and smiles and occasionally greets one with a cheery 'Good morning'.
The streets haven't been turned into the suburban weekend car park and the frantic pace which will follow from about 11-12 am hasn't developed. But it will and that is the time to return home, have a late breakfast and enjoy the newspapers.

That is quite poetic, in an urban way.
Saturday 25 August 2018 4.25pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Thebunhouse wrote:

On a Sunday morning, it's kind of like the film 28 Days later...

Sunday 26 August 2018 9.40am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Goldry, et al, you don't speak for the "local community" and can't make assertions like "[the] majority of people in the area welcome independent additions like this". It is unfortunate, but this forum and the views expressed hereon certainly aren't representative of the "local community" either.
Tee, you are entitled to a moan!

Indeed. This at a time when the media is daily highlighting that local high streets and the like at dying on their feet. You’d think some people would be grateful that Bermondsey St has not gone the same way as Lower Marsh - a wilderness of shuttered shops and hoardings.
Sunday 26 August 2018 4.33pm
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Thebunhouse wrote:

On a Sunday morning, it's kind of like the film 28 Days later...

I mean specifically the City of London.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions