London SE1 community website

joseph lancaster school info please

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 18 August 2018 11.37am
Hi everyone,
My family lived in Ellington house falmouth road, on the rockingham estate, we went to Joseph Lancaster until 1965 when we moved to east london.
The headmaster was Mr Bennet we called him tomato nose due to his huge red nose, My name is John Briggs our class had two teachers one miss Duckworth and another was Miss Faulkner, I remember them both as to my recollection they both taught us to read and write, an art which seems to be sadly missing ,the ability to teach and engage with everyone in the class, anyway, my question is does anyone know where i can find the headmasters diary,i know i have some entries in it, I thought it would be interesting to show my kids.thank you all.
Wednesday 13 February 2019 9.53pm
Hi John,

We lived in Brandon street, just off the lane,,I also remember the headmaster although the theory I remember was that he kept plums up that nose., unfortunately, my time with him for me normally involved the cane.

Things I remember are going to Jail park for lunch, great gatherings of kids (some from other schools) on the umbrellas, playing British bulldog under the shelter in the playground and rounders with the teachers. My Teacher was Mr Borrett, he bought me a book for Xmas and I still have it.

My time there was between 1966-70, so our paths may not have crossed, but the school sounds like the same teachers were there. I hope someone has the diary you are looking for.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions