London SE1 community website

Bin lorry noise Toulmin Street 0520hrs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 20 August 2018 11.06am
Hello

I have been a long time sufferer of the bin lorry that collects from pickwick street. It either reverses down pickwick or nowadays parks on toulmin street. Like this morning at 0523!!

This happens weekly at 0520-0600hrs. Loud rattling bins. Beeping lorry. Two men that insist on shouting to each other. Is so loud it wakes me through earplugs.

Does anyone else hear this or is it just me. I have contacted biffa who say that while they have many customers on great sulfolk street, they do not arrive before 0700.

Does anyone know what company this is if t is not biffa? Or see a number plate?

Regards

Sleepless Caz
Monday 20 August 2018 12.08pm
I sympathise. We have the same issues in our street with refuse and recycling collections starting as early as 5.45am, often back-to-back, with one particular company collecting from two adjoining businesses at different times, both pre-6.30am and in another case from the same premises twice, again pre-6.30am. We've had this for years and the long-term daily sleep interruption can't possibly be good for our health. The collection companies time their rounds to suit themselves, but can normally be persuaded to change them if they get complaints about particularly early disturbances. The problem in our case is more complicated because we're a residential block surrounded by small businesses and office blocks. There are seven small business units, an eight storey block of multiple occupancy and a 22 story block of multiple occupancy. This, of course, means multiple refuse and recycling collections by a variety of different companies, which is pretty chaotic and unbelievably noisy. That's without the refrigerated vans delivering food, UPS, Fedex, Royal Mail, mobile shredding vans, stationery deliveries, furniture deliveries etc etc. I really do think that collections and deliveries pre-7.30am are unacceptable, but this can be blamed on Southwark Council who have granted the businesses close to us 24 access for services. No one asked the residents in our block of 36 flats if we had any objections to this, it was simply put in place to suit the owners and / or developers of the various premises. And yes - we were here first, so this isn't a case of moving in then complaining about what was here all along.
To answer your question, even though we're not near you so don't know which company is responsible for your noise issues, for refuse and recycling collections it could be Veolia, Simply Drinks, Zero to Landfill, Paper Round, Enviro Waste, Bywaters, or First Mile. There are bound to be more, but these are the ones we've done battle with at various times. Good luck!
Monday 20 August 2018 5.35pm
I found out it is Bywaters who are collecting.

Arc Electrical are the client and have hired them. But Arc Electrical say they have no control over the collection time.

However the gate requires keys; I asked if they could just take the keys away and they said they had no control over the keys. Seems odd. Off course they have control over giving them keys!!£&)!?

Seems like they donít want to stop the collections at 0520hrs....

Anyone have any clues. I have gone to noise complaints. Waiting on an answer....
Tuesday 21 August 2018 9.36am
Arc Electrical pays Bywaters to collect and can stipulate timings if they can be bothered to, which it sounds like they can't. Odd really as it makes no difference to them when their refuse and recycling is collected, but it makes a huge difference to local residents when their sleep is constantly disrupted. You could try contacting Bywaters' head office yourself as they may well be more helpful in rearranging their pick-up schedule - [email protected]

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions