London SE1 community website

Electric charging points fewer in Southwark than other central boroughs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 27 October 2018 12.46pm
I am contemplating getting an electric car but noticed that there is a huge lack of charging points in the area around bricklayers arms to tower bridge, elephant and castle, and as far as the Blue. There are hundreds, if not thousands of new homes being built in Bermondsey and a complete lack of on-street charging compared to North of the river or areas east and west of us. As this area has more flats than houses the majority have no access to home charging.

Should Southwark council be stepping up its involvement?
Monday 29 October 2018 7.25am
The primary involvement form the council has been to ensure that most of those new flats are subject to Section 108 agreements, which means they have no parking other than disabled spaces and residents cannot apply for a parking permit. Their presence is therefore not a reason to increase facilities for cars.
Monday 29 October 2018 10.22pm
For years councils have had access to central government funds to install charging points: most of it has been unused.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/funding-for-thousands-of-electric-car-charge-points-unused-by-councils

I was in correspondence with officers and councillors in 2014 when I had an electric car but no points were added. I got rid of the electric car after a year and went back to petrol.

Southwark has masses of unused on street parking even in SE1 and with black cabs going electric, hundreds of cabbies already need to plug them in and on chatting to one recently they have said Southwark is a desert. Installing more points for them would improve spend at local businesses and add 'eyes on the street' in quieter areas. It's a shame no councillors or council departments see the bigger picture here.
Tuesday 30 October 2018 4.32pm
I'm currently at a Southwark cabinet meeting where Cllr Richard Livingstone has just talked about plans to install 75 electric car charging points attached to lampposts in the borough.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 30 October 2018 6.29pm
Who pays for the electricity?
Tuesday 30 October 2018 6.32pm
That's very useful to know, thank you.

The lamp post chargers would provide residents in areas of on street parking with a means to charge vehicles overnight. They have a 3kW output (i.e. the same as a 13 amp domestic supply) so charging takes 5-10 hours. Certainly an encouraging move.

The slightly faster 7kW chargers and 22kW chargers cost more to install. Source London who TfL contracted on street provision therefore charge 7p/min for a 7kW charge, which is around 3x or 4x what it would cost to charge it from a domestic supply. Very few are in Southwark. However grants have been available since 2013 (originally covering 75% of the cost of a bay, up to 7,500) (http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160811224126/https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/226841/onstreet-rapid-chargepoints-local-authority.pdf) and still are available. There are widespread benefits to encouraging visitors to Southwark and supporting courier vans, private hire cars and black cabs, who all variously rely on street provision of chargers, to invest in electric vehicles.
Wednesday 31 October 2018 6.52am
The development where I live in SE1 has a private car park, if the freeholder installed charging points my next car would definitely be electric.

As it is it will be petrol.
Wednesday 31 October 2018 7.20am
The car owner, who else do you think pays for it?
Wednesday 31 October 2018 9.41am
A litre of petrol costs 1.30, of which 58p is duty and 22p is VAT, if most of London switches to electric cars, where will the government make up for the lost duty and VAT revenues?

Perhaps increasing VAT to 22% across the board is on the cards?
Wednesday 31 October 2018 6.12pm
boroughbloke I don't know, that is why I asked. There was mention of them hooked up to street lights. I have also seen them around town and never noticed any payment method built in to them. Can you enlighten me how it work?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions